cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #231
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

At what stage do you believe President Monson is?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #232
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
At what stage do you believe President Monson is?
No idea.

Sorry for the "dodge". I'm just not as interested as you are in determining others' status before God.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #233
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
No idea.

Sorry for the "dodge". I'm just not as interested as you are in determining others' status before God.
So just to be clear, you're comfortable assigning faith stages to me and Tex, but not President Monson?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #234
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So just to be clear, you're comfortable assigning faith stages to me and Tex, but not President Monson?
In all fairness, he is more familiar with your views than President Monson's, as Pres. Monson sticks to a pretty tight script.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #235
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In all fairness, he is more familiar with your views than President Monson's, as Pres. Monson sticks to a pretty tight script.
All he has done is created a strawman out of me and lazily assigned mischaracterizations of my views.

Assuming that President Monson's teachings, or any other prophet for that matter, are an accurate reflection of their own stage of faith, then what stage of faith most accurately characterizes those teachings?
Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #236
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
All he has done is created a strawman out of me and lazily assigned mischaracterizations of my views.

Assuming that President Monson's teachings, or any other prophet for that matter, are an accurate reflection of their own stage of faith, then what stage of faith most accurately characterizes those teachings?
"Stage IV" is the new "Mullah"

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #237
ERCougar

Quote:

The specifics of the opinions are much less indicative of the stage than how you characterize those whose opinions differ from yours.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:31 PM   #238
ERCougar

Quote:
"Just to be clear", I was about to jump in earlier when the topic was brought up and say that I wasn't convinced we could assign faith stages to people, only to have Tex link to postmormon.org, which is one of the specific examples of Stage III behavior outlined in the book--Stage III's tend to think anyone in stage IV is apostate. I just couldn't let the irony and its timing sit.

Now I'm done. This is a stupid discussion, and I feel the worse for taking part in it.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #239
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
"Just to be clear", I was about to jump in earlier when the topic was brought up and say that I wasn't convinced we could assign faith stages to people, only to have Tex link to postmormon.org, which is one of the specific examples of Stage III behavior outlined in the book--Stage III's tend to think anyone in stage IV is apostate. I just couldn't let the irony and its timing sit.

Now I'm done. This is a stupid discussion, and I feel the worse for taking part in it.
Apostates, maybe. Condescending jerks, certainly.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:50 PM   #240
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Apostates, maybe. Condescending jerks, certainly.
I agree that it comes across as condescending. You'll notice that I wasn't the one to bring it up first. I was about to defend you when you made the derisive postmormon.org link, a link to a group that wishes you no ill, but is merely following what they believe is truth, often at sacrifice of family and friends. While I don't agree with them, I think that kind of commitment to truth-seeking is admirable. So I couldn't resist the irony of it all. I'm sorry.