cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Lee Benson on Mitt

Interesting column:

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695251301,00.html

I have to agree with Lee. We will always wonder what would have happened had Mitt not tried to re-invent himself as a conservative and sell his soul to the far right.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The fact that his two most significant endorsements were Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh says all you need to know.

Mitt Romney was the most hated man among his competitors. And the sad thing is that he probably has no idea why.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The fact that his two most significant endorsements were Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh says all you need to know.

Mitt Romney was the most hated man among his competitors. And the sad thing is that he probably has no idea why.
IMHO, the reason he was hated was he hadn't earned the right to be there. He got there because he had money. Face it, even republicans hate republicans who have more money than they do.

He was too bland for the media. He by far is the most accomplished candidate running on more than just being political.

What have any of them done, except McCain's military career, outside of politics.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

LOL, hard to take this guy seriously. "King of the moderates"? "Fading virulent talk-show superstars"? Heh, right.

Whatever Romney's mistakes, I'm glad he didn't take advice from guys like this.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
LOL, hard to take this guy seriously. "King of the moderates"? "Fading virulent talk-show superstars"? Heh, right.

Whatever Romney's mistakes, I'm glad he didn't take advice from guys like this.
Tex, would you agree that the "old" Romney was more moderate? I.e., the Romney that ran for governer of Mass.?
Old 02-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Tex, would you agree that the "old" Romney was more moderate? I.e., the Romney that ran for governer of Mass.?
RomneyXP far better than VistaMitt.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Obviously.

1. I don't think the "old" Romney would've gotten anywhere close to where "today's" Romney got.
2. I agree with Peggy Noonan ... a man gets to change his political positions if he chooses. Once.
3. The flip-flop label was way overplayed, mostly by bitter John Kerry fans.

I believed his conversion was sincere, others didn't. *shrug* That's the breaks. Now he has a chance to establish his bone fides if he wishes.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The part that I really love, I mean really love, is how Mitt lost because of his Tancredo-beliefs.

Damn, that is some poetic justice. And I don't think Mitt believed any of it either.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The part that I really love, I mean really love, is how Mitt lost because of his Tancredo-beliefs.

Damn, that is some poetic justice. And I don't think Mitt believed any of it either.
Do you have any hard info on which you base this conclusion?

I bet this issue was actually a net positive for Mitt. The only miscalculation may have been that it wasn't as big an issue as he and his team might have expected.

Hard numbers show that in most states Mitt and Huck, both espousing similar views on illegal immigration, out-polled McCain. Add in Ron Paul, a real Nazi on this issue, and it's a landslide.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

McCain being the GOP front runner has now officially cemented that either Billary or Barack will be the next Commander in Chief.

My guess is this time next year with the momentum he's gaining....we'll be seeing Barack's inauguration. But in January of course.