cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default illegitimacy

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/o...rital_sex.html

With a special shout-out to the Mormons toward the end:

Quote:
"There are no illegitimate children, only illegitimate parents," Witte says.
So, in a nation awash in illegitimate parents, why aren't we hearing more from religious and political leaders about this widespread social problem?
Why aren't Catholic bishops withholding communion from illegitimate parents? Why are evangelical and black church leaders campaigning for opposite-sex marriage to save the family? Why aren't progressive Christian leaders pushing for more social programs to help children conceived out of wedlock? Why aren't Mormon leaders opposing polygamous relationships (which are common) rather than polygamy (which is not)?
The only counsel I can think of on this topic has been in the form of increasing the baby market for childless couples, more commonly known as LDS social services adoption.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mormon leaders aren't against polygamous relationships? News to me.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Mormon leaders aren't against polygamous relationships? News to me.
If you read the article, I think the point was it's not a hot social topic. Religious leaders aren't speaking out and organizing on the topic of illegitimacy in the way they are against other topics like gay marriage or polygamy.

To some extent, I guess I am a product of my social times because illegitimacy doesn't strike me as a scourge either, so I'm not sure I believe there should be such public statements.

It is a bit jarring to see Bristol Palin out there advocating for teen abstinence. Do you think she will come up in YW lessons this week, and is that how you would teach the topic?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't read the article, but I have a hard time believing that illegitimacy isn't a major social problem. How many black kids in America are raised by a single parent? 70%?

How many kids don't have a father?

The LDS church, by its nature, I think is uncomfortable in social intervention in society at large, unlike some churches.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
If you read the article, I think the point was it's not a hot social topic. Religious leaders aren't speaking out and organizing on the topic of illegitimacy in the way they are against other topics like gay marriage or polygamy.

To some extent, I guess I am a product of my social times because illegitimacy doesn't strike me as a scourge either, so I'm not sure I believe there should be such public statements.
It's been a while since I looked at the numbers, but illegitimacy is part of what is absolutely destroying the black community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
It is a bit jarring to see Bristol Palin out there advocating for teen abstinence. Do you think she will come up in YW lessons this week, and is that how you would teach the topic?
Jarring? Seems like she's an ideal candidate to speak on the topic.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Except that she's flip flopped on it. Even after her child's birth she said abstinence was "unrealistic." Her parents have since gotten her to dump the boyfriend and her tune has changed. I think it's a shame for her that she's been thrown into the public limelight. That wasn't her choice. But my cynical side seems to tell me this most recent statement from her has something to do with making her mom's christian right friends happy.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's been a while since I looked at the numbers, but illegitimacy is part of what is absolutely destroying the black community.

True in a respect, but you may be missing some of what RHG is trying to get at. Obviously, Bristol's experience and the challenges she will face make her well-suited to speak to teens on the importance of responsible sexuality and on the possible consequences of irresponsibility. At the same time, shouldn't the mother of a newborn be demonstrating that responsibility by tending to her newborn rather than making the talk-show circuit? And what message does she send about her baby if she's out there saying, "Hey, this was a mistake."

If you look at RHG's previous sentence, I don't think she's questioning the fitness of the speaker (Bristol) so much as she's questioning whether these statements are fruitful in the first place.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Except that she's flip flopped on it. Even after her child's birth she said abstinence was "unrealistic." Her parents have since gotten her to dump the boyfriend and her tune has changed. I think it's a shame for her that she's been thrown into the public limelight. That wasn't her choice. But my cynical side seems to tell me this most recent statement from her has something to do with making her mom's christian right friends happy.
It's politics. Palin's stock value with Dobson's crew is slipping as more and more private details come out about the family. Palin needs Bristol to play the sympathetic figure of the devout Christian girl who made a mistake, and has repented, and is taking responsibility for the consequences of her sin. Then she's done the "go and sin no more" thing, and any critics will have to face "let he who is without sin" rebuttals.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I don't blame you for the cynicism. It's certainly possible. I frankly wish the families of politicians would both get out and be left out of political conversations, but that's not our culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
True in a respect, but you may be missing some of what RHG is trying to get at. Obviously, Bristol's experience and the challenges she will face make her well-suited to speak to teens on the importance of responsible sexuality and on the possible consequences of irresponsibility. At the same time, shouldn't the mother of a newborn be demonstrating that responsibility by tending to her newborn rather than making the talk-show circuit? And what message does she send about her baby if she's out there saying, "Hey, this was a mistake."

If you look at RHG's previous sentence, I don't think she's questioning the fitness of the speaker (Bristol) so much as she's questioning whether these statements are fruitful in the first place.
I haven't read what she's actually been saying. Has she said her baby was a mistake? There is a delicate way of saying "abstinence is a better way" without taking the Obama approach of referring to a baby as punishment.

As to the talk-show circuit: do you have some inside info that Bristol is not tending her newborn?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
RedHeadGal

Quote:
You think so? See, she's famous for it. And in a heroic way--look at her! She chose life! Is that what you would want to teach young Texies? How heroic do you want her to be? Or do you see her as a bad example?