cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Fierce food

I recently read a book review about fierce food--wild animals, extreme exotica, and such. A client recently gave me an example of it. Once in China he ate at a very fancy restaurant. He ordered a famous dish. They brought a basket to his table, opened the lid, and it was filled with writhing snakes. He was asked to select one, which he did. The chef extracted it from the basket with tongs and then promptly beheaded it at the table with a cleaver. The chef then wrung blood out of the body into a glass and handed it to my client (the customer) to drink, which he did. Then the chef barbecued the snake at the table and served it.

This got me to thinking about whether I've ever had fierce food. I think the closest thing is that hairy cow's foot soup and on another occasion gunea pig. Not much, I'm afraid. Anyone else? (Sushi is not fierce food.)

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-01-2007 at 08:54 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #2
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
(Sushi is not fierce food.)
What about that sashimi that can kill you if the chef does not prepare it correctly? (some kind of blowfish, I think?)
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
What about that sashimi that can kill you if the chef does not prepare it correctly? (some kind of blowfish, I think?)
Yes. I've heard of that and that would qualify. I think that's in this book I referenced.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-01-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
SeattleUte

Thanks to my mission for my only arguable experience in fierce food cuisine.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 06-01-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
That would be fugu - the pufferfish

Quote:
If an ingested dose of the fugu's poison is lethal, as more and more muscles are paralyzed, symptoms may include dizziness, exhaustion, headache, nausea or difficulty breathing. For 50% to 80% of the victims, death follows within four to 24 hours. The victim remains fully conscious throughout most of the ordeal, but cannot speak or move due to paralysis, and soon also cannot breathe and subsequently asphyxiates. If the victim survives the first 24 hours, he or she usually recovers completely.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I've had the following:
  • dog (don't know the breed). It was delicious with a lemon sauce. It's darker than dark turkey meat and very lean.
  • iguana. Cooked in coconut sauce. The iguana didn't really have it's own taste - it just tasted like coconut sauce. Texture was very rubbery/chewy.
  • barbequed crickets. Just like iguana in that they didn't have a taste of their own - all I could taste was the barbeque flavor. Crunchy. This Thai sister missionary in Khon Kaen Thailand (my first area) ate a whole sack of them one night and broke out in hives the next morning.

I never had balut when I was in the Philippines but I saw plenty of people eat it. Many missionaries ate it as a badge of honor. Totally gross:

My old man lived in China for 12 years and has lots of stories to tell about the wierd things he has eaten at banquets. The one I remember most was elephant penis.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

I can't think of anything very exciting I've eaten, although buffalo is good.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Anything cooked by my mother-in-law
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:37 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
That would be fugu - the pufferfish
You learned that from The Simpsons, didn't you?

Homer: "I want FUGU!"

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've eaten sea turtle. Not too many people who can claim that. Not that I go around annoucing it. I've also eaten sea turtle eggs.

Does it have to be an animal? I've eaten breadfruit after it was buried for six months.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote