cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion

Old 11-07-2015, 05:52 AM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Call me a mullah if you must, but I found the Church's announcement to be reassuring. I've seen so many members of the Church shy away from correct doctrine in order maintain more popular opinions. I'm grateful that the Church is still willing to stand against popular opinion for what is right. They wouldn't be doing anyone a favor by pretending that their apostate behaviors were acceptable.

As for the church members choosing to be offended on the behalf of the children involved, stop acting like Christ was accepting of everyone. What is the ratio of time that you spend reading internet memes, "intellectual reviews" and anti-religion sophistry vs. reading the scriptures and the words of the prophets? Especially the so-called words of Christ that you've modified and argued out of context? Here's a primer: start with the plagues in Egypt and how God informed Moses that He would slay all of the firstborn children. Twice in fact. Skip ahead to how God allowed all males two and under to be murdered at the time of Christ. Or maybe start with God telling the House of Israel to kill and plunder everything in their path, including women, children, and livestock. You may want to skip Sodom and Gomorrah initially, because your internet memes indicate you may be a suicide risk and of course it's someone else's fault. Maybe instead you'll appreciate the stories in early church history of "fag hating" Mormon women and children being burned alive in their homes.

This Jesus, who you have deconstructed to being an easy God who pats everyone on their heads, giggles and tells them to run off and chase butterflies, was in reality chased away by His local communities. Sermon after sermon, they "pray[ed] him to depart out of their coasts."

Christ himself prophesied to Isaiah: "These children will not hear the law of the Lord: [They] say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits: Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us (30:9-11)."

Your memes often quote "As I have loved you, love one another." But what they don't tell you, and what you've failed to learn while turning to other sources, was that to be perfectly clear what He meant by that, he added "if ye love me, keep my commandments," and "whosoever shall break one of the least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be the least in the kingdom of heaven."

And what of those who just want to look at sin or touch it from a distance? Jesus said "if your eye offends you, pluck it out. If your hand offends you, cut it off." To those who thought their Messiah would only speak soothing platitudes, he said "I came not to [bring] peace, but a sword." Is it any wonder that miracle after miracle, His power was attributed not to God but to the devil.

I commend the brethren for sticking to true principles, and not "teaching men so" that they'll turn a blind eye if men want to embrace popular apostate lifestyles. The very people who say the brethren are false and the church is false for not teaching Christ, obviously have no clue who Christ was or what he taught.

As for Julie Rowe's alleged visions that before the end of Obama's presidency, a small percentage of church members will be living in tent cities while a godless, lawless society wars with one another, maybe she was on to something.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Real question. What's your opinion of westboro Baptist?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #23
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Real question. Who do you believe has the largest influence in those children's lives: their parents or their primary teacher, who they see two hours a week? Those boys see their parents doing one thing and their primary teacher telling them something else. Let me ask, how do you feel when you read news articles about parents who break the law and bring their kids along as they do? And make excuses like, "but we're good parents because we attend their parent-teacher conferences and take them to Disney movies."

These children are learning one thing in primary while observing something completely different at home. Stop crying foul over church leaders who are stopping them from making covenants before they are old enough to discern for themselves which path they want to follow.

People are just dying to find a victim in this policy thing. We are a society of professional victims. Looking for a cause- trying to see harm where no actual harm exists. Why is that do you think? People are searching for ways to be offended. It's so ridiculous. Even more foolish are that those that are not gay and not LDS are screaming the loudest. They are trying to create a victim. It's nuts.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you care if the Church is unpopular with its own young adults and is unsuccessful in its Christian message because it is decried as misogynistic and homophobic?

Most young people view the LDS Church extremely negatively as a woman and gay hating church. If that perspective is to prevail, it will become much like the Community of Christ, small and more unimportant than it already is.

So do you want the Church to say, "We hate gays, shoot them, kill them, because they violate the harsh and heavy-handed law of the God of Moses. We need more eye for an eye around here"?

The decision gained nothing but cost the Church more than it ever stood to gain from it.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-07-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #25
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Archaea, it's not a popularity contest. Do you know what is popular? Homosexuality. The Kardashians. Sexting. Infidelity. Drugs. Alcohol. Doing whatever you want because "God just wants me to be happy."

Do you know what is unpopular? Sabbath observance. Tithes and offerings. Monogamy. Heterosexuality.

Do I want the church to be popular, so teens can live in sin without guilt? You know, in the premortal world, there was a plan that was offered to allow people to eat, drink and be merry without agency or accountability, but it was rejected.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #26
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Christ said to let your light so shine before the world and not hide it under a bushel. He didn't say to put out a dim, flickering light, so the children of Babylon will feel nice and cozy.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Archaea, it's not a popularity contest. Do you know what is popular? Homosexuality. The Kardashians. Sexting. Infidelity. Drugs. Alcohol. Doing whatever you want because "God just wants me to be happy."

Do you know what is unpopular? Sabbath observance. Tithes and offerings. Monogamy. Heterosexuality.

Do I want the church to be popular, so teens can live in sin without guilt? You know, in the premortal world, there was a plan that was offered to allow people to eat, drink and be merry without agency or accountability, but it was rejected.
Do you want the Church to as unpopular as radical Muslims?

Do you oppose the fact that the Church extended the priesthood to all worthy males? It sounds as if you want as harsh and horrible an environment as possible with camel hair underwear to prove one's worthiness.

Things don't have to be unappealing and awful to show understanding. Under your vision, the Church would wither away and die.

Presentation doesn't matter to you?
Old 11-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The part that I don't get with this "act of love" is the lack of acknowledgment about the very real pain it is causing for some very real families.

http://kutv.com/news/local/lds-churc...rom-membership
Old 11-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Zulu used to comment from time to time with how much he felt in common with Muslims (he worked among them in foreign lands). And how similar Mormonism is with Islam.

He doesn't make such comments anymore. Not for many years. At least not publicly.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #30
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Archaea, that's not fair. Muslims are unpopular for different reasons. Nazi Germany was also unpopular. So are BYU admissions standards.

If your argument is that the church needs to lower its standards so that it will appeal to people who are looking for a watered-down, lesser gospel, so they may continue doing things that God calls sinful but not have any clue that He does, I have good news: many churches like that already exist. Maybe they can use them as stepping stones. See Joel Osteen's sermons for example, where the whole purpose of life is simply to smile and be happy.

I repeat, as Christ prophesied to Isaiah: "These children will not hear the law of the Lord: [They] say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits: Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us (30:9-11)."

I suppose either you have a testimony that it's true doctrine or you don't.