cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 02-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #21
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Inheriting the worst economic crisis in 70+ years from his predecessor, along with a sprinkle of cheap populist politics on the part of Rush Limbaugh & the GOP, have nothing to do with the President's ratings.

LOL

As for narratives, Tex, can you give us your best guess that parallels Bush's rise to the peak of his presidency in 9 months, post 9-11, with nearly the whole world behind him & US, followed by the long slide based on an enormous catalog of idiotic statements and missteps?
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #22
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Thanks. I'll try to state my "thesis" more clearly, maybe with footnotes. (This is still an Internet message board, right? Someone check for me.)

In any case, I'm genuinely sorry to have gotten you all riled up, so I apologize to you for the pea-brained comment. (Cali still has a pea-brain though). You and I had no beef before, and I really don't need any new adversaries. Not that there are many left around anymore.

Cheers.
Fair enough.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
Inheriting the worst economic crisis in 70+ years from his predecessor, along with a sprinkle of cheap populist politics on the part of Rush Limbaugh & the GOP, have nothing to do with the President's ratings.

LOL

As for narratives, Tex, can you give us your best guess that parallels Bush's rise to the peak of his presidency in 9 months, post 9-11, with nearly the whole world behind him & US, followed by the long slide based on an enormous catalog of idiotic statements and missteps?
Actually, all I was really highlighting was the irony of the start of these two presidencies. Bush came into office under a cloud, Obama on top of one. Yet their approval ratings end up being pretty much the same after a number of weeks. Pretty amusing, in my book.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 02-10-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Approval rating of 76% this week.

Golly.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Actually, all I was really highlighting was the irony of the start of these two presidencies. Bush came into office under a cloud, Obama on top of one. Yet their approval ratings end up being pretty much the same after a number of weeks. Pretty amusing, in my book.
You are really stretching, Tex.

Sure, the elections of Obama and Bush were quite different. Bush effectively won the election through the courts, Obama won a clear mandate. You then want to suggest that a parallel in their respective popularity so soon into Obama's respective presidency shows that Obama has really fallen. This is just silly.

What you fail to note are the other circumstances the two men faced upon taking office. Obama was faced with the threat of economic collapse, war being fought in two nations concurrently, the largest loss of jobs in over two decades, etc. Perhaps the rosy circumstances you paint for Obama's entrance into the presidency are... overstated?

That and the fact that almost all other opinion polls seem to indicate much higher support right now for Obama suggest that, once again, you don't have a point.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #26
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Approval rating of 76% this week.

Golly.
Rasmussen says 60%.

That said, it's no surprise he's more popular than his stimulus package, given that it's nothing of the kind.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #27
Tex

Gallup reports 59% today.

ABC News' pollster says Obama's poll average is strong (68%), but also almost exactly matches the average for the last nine newly-elected presidents (67%).

He also notes the strong partisan undercurrents represented in these polls since Bill Clinton. Interesting read.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #28
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Americans are coming down to earth, realizing that he is a slick-talking politician, just like the rest of them.
He's worse. It took Bush years to get to this level. It's taken Obama less than 2 months.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #29
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

LOL

And he's making it worse. What is your point? Creating more government jobs is the solution out of our economic woes? Forcing contractors to only use union workers is the solution out of our economic woes? I think we can agree that the mortgage crisis brought us here. And who supported the lending of money to those who couldn't afford a home.......the Dems (Dodd/Rangel).
Old 02-26-2009, 04:00 PM   #30
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You are really stretching, Tex.

Sure, the elections of Obama and Bush were quite different. Bush effectively won the election through the courts, Obama won a clear mandate. You then want to suggest that a parallel in their respective popularity so soon into Obama's respective presidency shows that Obama has really fallen. This is just silly.

What you fail to note are the other circumstances the two men faced upon taking office. Obama was faced with the threat of economic collapse, war being fought in two nations concurrently, the largest loss of jobs in over two decades, etc. Perhaps the rosy circumstances you paint for Obama's entrance into the presidency are... overstated?

That and the fact that almost all other opinion polls seem to indicate much higher support right now for Obama suggest that, once again, you don't have a point.
Show me one recount that would have changed the votes in Florida and the outcome of the election. BTW, wasn't it the Florida supreme court who initially inserted themselves. That's when the election became a legal exercise.