cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
WF is too expensive.
Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:59 AM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
TJ's is more of a Palin type place to shop.
I've never heard of them. What do they sell? Camouflage gear or snowmobile parts?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #13
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I never actually went to Trader Joes when I was in Oregon. I loved Zupans in Oregon and wish they had them in Utah.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 AM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Trader Joes and Whole Foods are trendy, snobbish, overrated and overpriced. IMO, they're only good for their incredible selection of soy based ice cream for us lactose challenged individuals.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:05 AM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Trader Joes and Whole Foods are trendy, snobbish, overrated and overpriced. IMO, they're only good for their incredible selection of soy based ice cream for us lactose challenged individuals.
TJ's may be many things, but it is not overpriced. I also have a hard time understanding the suposed 'trendiness' of Trader Joe's, as it has been around ever since I have lived in this area (AFAI can recall) and there dioens't seem to be much trendy about it.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:12 AM   #16
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
TJ's may be many things, but it is not overpriced. I also have a hard time understanding the suposed 'trendiness' of Trader Joe's, as it has been around ever since I have lived in this area (AFAI can recall) and there dioens't seem to be much trendy about it.
Trader Joe's not so much as Whole Foods and the Wild Oats they bought up.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #17
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was about to say the same thing. call it trendy or whatever but overpriced it is not. I too don't understand the trendiness label since I can not remember a time when i lived in California and did not go to one, at least since the mid to late 80's, but whatever.

I started to think why TJ's would bypass Utah and it has to be Liquor sales. They have a pretty large wine/liquor section and offer specialty beers that most likely contribute greatly to the bottom line.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #18
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It may have been around for a while in CA, but they have proliferated quite a bit in more recent years. A la Krispy Kreme, I'd say, without looking at stats to back me up.

And I don't think it's the no alcohol things for Utah, because in Maryland, there are very strict laws about selling alcohol as well, and the TJs here don't have the alcohol sections.

BTW, I also agree it's not necessarily pricey. And I buy tons of steel cut oats from they for the cheapest price I can find. Plus, where else would I buy freeze dried mango or dragon fruit?
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
It may have been around for a while in CA, but they have proliferated quite a bit in more recent years. A la Krispy Kreme, I'd say, without looking at stats to back me up.

And I don't think it's the no alcohol things for Utah, because in Maryland, there are very strict laws about selling alcohol as well, and the TJs here don't have the alcohol sections.

BTW, I also agree it's not necessarily pricey. And I buy tons of steel cut oats from they for the cheapest price I can find. Plus, where else would I buy freeze dried mango or dragon fruit?

Further evidence of the advantages of california. You all may love to hate us, but you really love us.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #20
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
There's one in DC-area Maryland on the Rockville Pike. It's kind of slummy compared to most, though.
There are several in Montgomery County -- one right on Wisconsin Avenue.

A private German company, the same that owns the small Aldi grocery stores in Germany, owns Trade Joe's (and Save-a-lot or some other discount grocery store . . .).
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote