cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This venerable swinging London import from the 60s is beloved by its many loyalists, although some knowledgeable fans of authentic Chinese cuisine are critical of the high priced, occasionally disappointing fare. Nonetheless, the garlic noodles, still made in-house by hand, are delicious, and the Peking duck is served in the traditional, centuries-old manner. Gambler's duck, crispy and redolent of ginger, is similarly served with steamed pancakes and hoisin sauce. Diced squab, eaten folded into lettuce leaves, and black peppered lobster, are other house favorites. The high profile clientele includes celebrities, entertainment industry movers-and-shakers, and a corps of hip artists and connoisseurs who identify with the owner, designer-painter-collector Michael Chow, a self-proclaimed Renaissance Man. Be forewarned, the dinner you have at Mr. Chow's can easily turn into one of the most expensive Chinese meals you've ever had.
http://www.gayot.com/restaurantpages...S00381&code=LA
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #12
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Second vote for Crustacean. It is very good.
Crustacean is an An family restaurant like Thanh Long in SFO that I mentioned in a different thread.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Thank you for posting this excellent review.

As I stated, the peking duck is fantastic.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The review only alludes to it but the noodles and dumplings are made on site by hand and out of this world. The Peking duck with the salty plum sauce is crispy tender and savory sweet. The pancakes you eat it with are also fresh made and just out of the steamer.

I love Pan-Asian and I am a fan of our famed Wild Ginger, but Mr. Chow's is the best, and the original.

The first time I went there I didn't know what I was getting myself into. My project was close to Beverly Hills and my hotel was there. I asked the concierge for some good local Chinese and he sent me there, just around the block. The facade and interior is nothing to write home about.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 AM   #15
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The review only alludes to it but the noodles and dumplings are made on site by hand and out of this world. The Peking duck with the salty plum sauce is crispy tender and savory sweet. The pancakes you eat it with are also fresh made and just out of the steamer.

I love Pan-Asian and I am a fan of our famed Wild Ginger, but Mr. Chow's is the best, and the original.

The first time I went there I didn't know what I was getting myself into. My project was close to Beverly Hills and my hotel was there. I asked the concierge for some good local Chinese and he sent me there, just around the block. The facade and interior is nothing to write home about.
Mr Chow on the outside is forgettable. If not for the valet out front, you would completely miss it.

I like the black/white theme inside, but you are right....definitely nothing special.

Atmosphere is important to me only if the food is good. If the food is mediocre, I don't care how they decorate...and that goes for dives, too. Some of the best food can be found at the local dive.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote