cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Trees close to the house?

Is this a problem if the tree's going to get big? I planted one in a spot that was necessarily maybe three feet or less from the house. Himalayan birch.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is this a problem if the tree's going to get big? I planted one in a spot that was necessarily maybe three feet or less from the house. Himalayan birch.

Is this a real question?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Pruning shears can be your friend.

The bigger problem will be where it is in relation to the house. It does better with full exposure to the sun.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:45 AM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Is this a real question?
Yes.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 AM   #5
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Pruning shears can be your friend.

The bigger problem will be where it is in relation to the house. It does better with full exposure to the sun.
Thanks, you've given me some comfort. I bought this big tree from the nursery at the last possible minute last Spring, before the leaves came out. My little boy was with me and it hung out the back of our van, with a red ribbon around the top. He calls it our tree. I planted it strategically to get a slice of sun for a few hours morning and afternoon each direction (when there's sun), though this tree doesn't need a lot, and give us more privacy vis-a-vis the neighbor's balcony in summer. But I had to wedge the root ball in between a rock retaining wall and my foundation. We hadn't thought anything could grow there.

It's grown like crazy. But some people are trying to carve into my (and my boy's) joy, saying it's too close to the house. It's pure rock all around the hole I dug mostly by removing boulders.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-12-2008, 04:37 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Thanks, you've given me some comfort. I bought this big tree from the nursery at the last possible minute last Spring, before the leaves came out. My little boy was with me and it hung out the back of our van, with a red ribbon around the top. He calls it our tree. I planted it strategically to get a slice of sun for a few hours morning and afternoon each direction (when there's sun), though this tree doesn't need a lot, and give us more privacy vis-a-vis the neighbor's balcony in summer. But I had to wedge the root ball in between a rock retaining wall and my foundation. We hadn't thought anything could grow there.

It's grown like crazy. But some people are trying to carve into my (and my boy's) joy, saying it's too close to the house. It's pure rock all around the hole I dug mostly by removing boulders.
It sounds like it should be ok. If it's the tree I think it is, I'd prune the lower branches as it gets taller, so they won't be against the house. Once the branches start to extend above the roof, you can let them grow.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 07-12-2008 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It sounds like it should be ok. If it's the tree I think it is, I'd prune the lower branches as it gets taller, so they won't be against the house. Once the branches start to extend above the roof, you can let them grow.
I read birch has a shallow root system. So it shouldn't harm the foundation I guess.

—Paul Auster
Old 07-12-2008, 05:11 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I read birch has a shallow root system. So it shouldn't harm the foundation I guess.
I doubt it. My parents have several birch close to their home and there has been no root problems.

The one to watch is the blasted Silver Maple. It will root into your sewer line and wreak havoc like nothing else.

Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 AM   #9
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

You can always cut it down if it becomes a problem. Then you have the bonus of an excuse to buy a chain saw. And then you'll be a man my son.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
You can always cut it down if it becomes a problem. Then you have the bonus of an excuse to buy a chain saw. And then you'll be a man my son.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre is the best scary movie ever (the original, not the remake).

—Paul Auster