cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 02-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road
Default BYU ballplayer kicked out of school

Didn't attend church enough - ecclesiastical endorsement not renewed.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8149321

"They said he didn't participate in the ward enough, hadn't been to church enough and hadn't gone in and asked for a calling," Kenneth Walton said. "All the stake president would say was, 'I hope you don't hurt your son by making a big issue out of this.' "

Yikes.

Last edited by Venkman; 02-02-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
Didn't attend church enough - ecclesiastical endorsement not renewed.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_8149321

"They said he didn't participate in the ward enough, hadn't been to church enough and hadn't gone in and asked for a calling," Kenneth Walton said. "All the stake president would say was, 'I hope you don't hurt your son by making a big issue out of this.' "

Yikes.
I just saw that. If that is all there is to the story (and it sounds like it could be from Drew's blog entry today), that is shocking and disappointing. I get the feeling that the bishop made a decision to withdraw his endorsement because of a lack of church attendance, and that withdrawal is effectively expelling Walton from the school. I think that bishop is taking things way too far. If I were Walton, I would go to a pastor of any other church and get them to write an endorsement, assuming I wanted anything to do with BYU after that.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I just saw that. If that is all there is to the story (and it sounds like it could be from Drew's blog entry today), that is shocking and disappointing. I get the feeling that the bishop made a decision to withdraw his endorsement because of a lack of church attendance, and that withdrawal is effectively expelling Walton from the school. I think that bishop is taking things way too far. If I were Walton, I would go to a pastor of any other church and get them to write an endorsement, assuming I wanted anything to do with BYU after that.
It seems that's all there is to the story from that article. Wow, I guess I could have been kicked out my freshman year. One thing I learned at BYU was that there were a lot of different kinds of Bishops out there. Some are interested in helping and some apparently are not. I thought the comment "he never came in and asked for a calling" was kind of a sad one. Since when are we supposed to do that?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
It seems that's all there is to the story from that article. Wow, I guess I could have been kicked out my freshman year. One thing I learned at BYU was that there were a lot of different kinds of Bishops out there. Some are interested in helping and some apparently are not. I thought the comment "he never came in and asked for a calling" was kind of a sad one. Since when are we supposed to do that?
There could be more to the story, but I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't. There are alot of dick Bishops at BYU. I'm lucky I never had one.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is solely as reported, that is ridiculous. A bishop run amuck.

Didn't come in for a calling? Jeez the lad should be commended not kicked out of school. Where did they get these yokals? And no probationary option provided?

Who is running the ship there?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If it is solely as reported, that is ridiculous. A bishop run amuck.

Didn't come in for a calling? Jeez the lad should be commended not kicked out of school. Where did they get these yokals? And no probationary option provided?

Who is running the ship there?
Could an attorney be of any help in this situation?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

No way is that all there is to the story. Half of BYU would be kicked out if during any 11 weeks strech they only attended 60% of the time. I find it impossible to believe that that was the sole reason.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
No way is that all there is to the story. Half of BYU would be kicked out if during any 11 weeks strech they only attended 60% of the time. I find it impossible to believe that that was the sole reason.
The reason I find it very believable is because there are hundreds of wards. It's not at all hard to imagine a few over the top bishops. I had one the first year back from my mission who was very similar to the one in this story.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Could an attorney be of any help in this situation?
The article also noted the Waltons were reluctant to do much, so that the player could be re-admitted.

It is as silly thing as can be. Maybe the EE needs to be re-evaluated.

If you receive one from home bishop, why should the university quasi-bishop be allowed to disown the student?

This bishop and stake president seem to have run amuck. It's completely bizarre. The story has an aura of authenticity, and it's disconcerting that President Samuelson didn't over-rule the ridiculous decision. "He didn't come in for a calling." What the heck.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The Mormiban strikes again. Defiling the museum is up next.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote