cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default BBQ help...

I left my BBQ at our old house when we moved a year ago, so my wife's giving me a new one for Father's Day. However, we're building a new house that should be done next summer and have discussed the possibility of a built-in BBQ. Anyone have one of these? My last grill had serious hot and cold spots, which just bugged me to no end, so I'm concerned about this possibility. If I buy a dedicated grill, I can look at Consumer Reports about the evenness of the grilling surface; they don't review built-ins.

Other question: which grill? After long debate (and yes, I know the pros and cons so spare me your opinion of gas vs charcoal), we've decided on a gas grill. The Blue Ember by Fiesta gets really good marks on CR http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...ings/index.htm
and is about $300 cheaper than the only grill above it (a Weber). I'm nervous about the Fiesta brand, but this model has gotten really good reviews from lots of owners--it seems to be a departure from the previous Fiesta grills. I know there are Weber die-hards, but you pay a lot for the name. This grill has a rotisserie burner--does anyone every use these? It also has a little smoker tray built in. Someday, we will get a nice smoker, but I think this is a decent compromise--has anyone ever used one of these?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Oddly, I just bought this grill last weekend, based on about 15 minutes internet research, it being in my price range (under $500) and it being available at my local Home Depot.

So I can't give good reviews because it's only been used a few times (3 or 4 nights of ownership!), but it's been great so far. It was pretty easy to put together, has a decent amount of grilling space, and seems sturdy and all that. As for the rotisserie part, I'm wondering if that's a bit misleading. I don't think you get what you need to rotisserie grill but merely the capability to attach a rotisserie--a question I have but haven't looked through the manual enough to figure out.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:25 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I left my BBQ at our old house when we moved a year ago, so my wife's giving me a new one for Father's Day. However, we're building a new house that should be done next summer and have discussed the possibility of a built-in BBQ. Anyone have one of these? My last grill had serious hot and cold spots, which just bugged me to no end, so I'm concerned about this possibility. If I buy a dedicated grill, I can look at Consumer Reports about the evenness of the grilling surface; they don't review built-ins.

Other question: which grill? After long debate (and yes, I know the pros and cons so spare me your opinion of gas vs charcoal), we've decided on a gas grill. The Blue Ember by Fiesta gets really good marks on CR http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/h...ings/index.htm
and is about $300 cheaper than the only grill above it (a Weber). I'm nervous about the Fiesta brand, but this model has gotten really good reviews from lots of owners--it seems to be a departure from the previous Fiesta grills. I know there are Weber die-hards, but you pay a lot for the name. This grill has a rotisserie burner--does anyone every use these? It also has a little smoker tray built in. Someday, we will get a nice smoker, but I think this is a decent compromise--has anyone ever used one of these?
Go charcoal and go with SuperPro. Best investment I have made. Get the side firebox attachment and go crazy.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought you wanted a built-in?

Is this a built-in?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...8X-_-100607625

If I was really doing a built-in, I would get a natural gas hookup.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Is this a built-in?

Exactly what I would do too.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Is this a built-in?

No, it's not a built-in. That's my question--should I just wait another year and get a built-in? My concern is that I have no way of evaluating the heating surface evenness, where with dedicated grills, I can rely on CR ratings etc. You can get natural gas hookups with the Blue Ember.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote