cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default UFC vs Pride

I haven't been a consistent follower of the Mixed Martial Arts. I remember watching UFC in the beginning when it was in the tournament format. No weight classes or anything.

Is UFC or Pride better? I watched the last few Liddell fights and he looks like a real brawler. It seems to me there should be someone out there with better skills though. How do you think he would stack against Wanderlei Silva?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I haven't been a consistent follower of the Mixed Martial Arts. I remember watching UFC in the beginning when it was in the tournament format. No weight classes or anything.

Is UFC or Pride better? I watched the last few Liddell fights and he looks like a real brawler. It seems to me there should be someone out there with better skills though. How do you think he would stack against Wanderlei Silva?
I know Fusnik loves Pride. I prefer UFC. I'd really like to see a melding of the two. I don't like the use of the boxing ring in Pride and how they restart fighters back in the middle when they get into the ropes kind of like wrestling does when you get off the mat.

Fighters are going between the two. Silva is fighting in the UFC as is Crocop. Pride is more of an anything goes though and they allow certain attacks and strikes like knees on the ground that aren't allowed in UFC. The refs tend to let things go a bit further in Pride too as some early stops in the UFC have caused controversy on occassion.

There are some sick fighters in both though.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 01-06-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

As of right now I don't think there's anyone in either organization that can stand toe to toe with Liddell.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
As of right now I don't think there's anyone in either organization that can stand toe to toe with Liddell.
How do you think a professional boxer would do against Liddell? I think boxers would be way too one dimensional to compete. With Liddell, I'm not too sure because he likes to fight standing up. He might get caught with a good punch.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
How do you think a professional boxer would do against Liddell? I think boxers would be way too one dimensional to compete. With Liddell, I'm not too sure because he likes to fight standing up. He might get caught with a good punch.
Seeing as there's no professional boxers in either MMA organization I really don't know.

Having said that you pose a very interesting question. I really don't know.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've seen very little UFC or Pride, but I do watch a lot of boxing.

Because they are two very different fighting styles, my guess would be that if they fought by UFC or Pride rules, a pro boxer would lose. If they fought by the boxing rules, the boxer would win.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Liddell is Hawaiian kenpo, with tremendous flexibility. He has kickboxing skills that woudl destroy a traditional fighter, with power from any angle.

Ray Lenoard learned power strikes from angles from his study of kenpo.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:06 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've seen very little UFC or Pride, but I do watch a lot of boxing.

Because they are two very different fighting styles, my guess would be that if they fought by UFC or Pride rules, a pro boxer would lose. If they fought by the boxing rules, the boxer would win.

Generally, most of the high level pro boxers are more fit, but they also use much bigger gloves. Punching power would be superior for most boxers, but they wouldn't know what to do with leg attacks and chokes.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:29 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Generally, most of the high level pro boxers are more fit, but they also use much bigger gloves. Punching power would be superior for most boxers, but they wouldn't know what to do with leg attacks and chokes.
Agreed, which is why it would depend on what rules were in place for the fight.

I hadn't thought about the gloves. Smaller gloves would, IMO be a benefit to the boxers because of their punching power.

Did you ever give a report of the fight you went to last weekend? If so, I must have missed it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike Tyson in his prime would have a hard time with Chuck Lidell. I know this sounds asinine but the reasoning is this. Chuck stands up in UFC and strikes that way because he is the best in UFC at doing this. However if he were to fight a boxer, he obviously would not be able to stand and strike as effectively. However Chuck is polished enough where he can also take you to the ground and submit you. He is not as good on the ground as a lot of the other UFC guys, but he is better than a boxer. UFC rules Chuck wins all day long.

Also Boxers wear 16 oz gloves and UFC they wear almost like training gloves with little or no padding.