cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I didn't think Houston

would defeat the Lakers today. I guess it's time to start taking them seriously. But for some reason, I still can't picture them making a serious run. I have a feeling that once their streak is broken they'll sink pretty fast.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Rafer Alston is incredible.

Also lakers didn't have Gasol. Without him the Lakers are a middle of the pack team.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Alston and the three point shooting of the Rockets killed the Lakers today. Having to give Mbenga significant minutes kills the Lakers. He's a liability at both ends. Battier's hand was in Kobe's face all day. Kobe could have drawn fouls on him each time and should have.

I too can't take the Rockets seriously. They have a tough stretch ahead and when teams like the Lakers and Hornets are back to full strength they'll be in trouble. Their bubble will burst and I wouldn't be surprised to see them fall to the middle of the Western Conference playoff teams if not the bottom by the time the playoffs come.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Rafer Alston is incredible.

Also lakers didn't have Gasol. Without him the Lakers are a middle of the pack team.
Slight correction...without him AND Bynum.

With Bynum, the Lakers were becoming beasts, then he got injured. Gasol is simply icing on the cake.

But I agree. The rockets beat a team that, as currently constituted, I predicted would be lucky to get the 7th or 8th seed in the West.

I think the Lakers just need to survive the regular season in respectable fashion. Gasol should be back by the end of next week. Bynum in April. They may be able to make noise this season in the playoffs. If not, they are primed for next season at full strength. We still dont even have Ariza back, either...no other West contender is dealing so many key injuries.

All this being said, Houston's streak is amazing and they deserve a load of credit. 22 wins in a row incredible.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #5
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Slight correction...without him AND Bynum.

With Bynum, the Lakers were becoming beasts, then he got injured. Gasol is simply icing on the cake.

But I agree. The rockets beat a team that, as currently constituted, I predicted would be lucky to get the 7th or 8th seed in the West.

I think the Lakers just need to survive the regular season in respectable fashion. Gasol should be back by the end of next week. Bynum in April. They may be able to make noise this season in the playoffs. If not, they are primed for next season at full strength. We still dont even have Ariza back, either...no other West contender is dealing so many key injuries.

All this being said, Houston's streak is amazing and they deserve a load of credit. 22 wins in a row incredible.
They were with Yao so it's a wash. I was amazed by Battier's ability to get his hand through Kobe's arms and palm his face on every shot. Kudos to him. He frustrated Kobe today. Kobe could have gone straight up and flailed a few times and put him on the bench with foul trouble but didn't.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:36 AM   #6
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
They were with Yao so it's a wash. I was amazed by Battier's ability to get his hand through Kobe's arms and palm his face on every shot. Kudos to him. He frustrated Kobe today. Kobe could have gone straight up and flailed a few times and put him on the bench with foul trouble but didn't.
Face checking....annoying, but Battier has always been a heady player. If the ref isn't going to call it, then do it.

There was one play under the basket where Kobe was cutting through the lane along the baseline and he slipped on some wet spot....for a brief second, it looked like he was going to roll his ankle. In a way, that would have been cool because it is high time we all see if Sasha Vujacic can carry a team on his own.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 03-17-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Face checking....annoying, but Battier has always been a heady player. If the ref isn't going to call it, then do it.

There was one play under the basket where Kobe was cutting through the lane along the baseline and he slipped on some wet spot....for a brief second, it looked like he was going to roll his ankle. In a way, that would have been cool because it is high time we all see if Sasha Vujacic can carry a team on his own.
Face checking is annoying as hell. I am not saying Battier should have been called for it. I am just saying Kobe could have drawn some easy fouls on him when he was doing it.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Is face guarding not allowed? never heard of that before.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I dont think so. Charlie Rosen just did a write up of the game and he actually makes specific mention of this issue.

check out bullet #3

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7...-extend-streak

Old 03-17-2008, 03:01 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Quote:
It's illegal. But they weren't calling it. In my opinion it was good defense and shouldn't be called. But because they weren't calling it he should have worked to draw the foul.