cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 03:27 AM   #31
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't take this ULCER ride seriously, when it suffers greatly in comparison to Hotter N Hell in Wichita Falls, TX.

Put it this way, HHH has twice as many event volunteers as ULCER has riders.

I believe this will be the 5th year I have done it.

August 25th. Something like 10k riders.

http://www.hh100.org/index.php?optio...d=24&Itemid=52
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:35 AM   #32
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I can't take this ULCER ride seriously, when it suffers greatly in comparison to Hotter N Hell in Wichita Falls, TX.

that's really cool! I think I'm going to do that next year or in '09. My buddy from Dallas is really trying to get me out there. I'm probably going to do RAGBRI with my sister-in-law next year.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:38 AM   #33
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Is that kinda like: "I must honor the code".

Well Pride...this is more of a "guideline" than a rule.

It's a simple choice really. I could be watching Arch's tail end waving goodbye to me at the 15 mile mark, or, I could be in line with two girls I've known since high school who teach aerobics at the gym.

Now, in all reality, their tail ends could be waving goodbye to me at about 15 miles as well, but, at least it will be a lot more pleasant parting.

Presented with the current choices, 10 times out of 10 I'm going with the two hard bodies and kicking Archaea in the shins and running away to ride another day!

(I still might take him up on holding him to the Sawtooth ride...IF I should have a temporary brain cramp and sign up for the Ulcer)
c'mon man! just sign up for ULCER too..... actually i'm just being selfish and want more wheels to mike if i could ever keep up.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:40 AM   #34
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Had a buddy who rode that one, said it was awesome. Ride actually got "called" when he was in it after some time into the ride. Apparently it was either too hot, or it was taking too long because of the number of riders etc. Anyway, he said that there were massive lines due to the shear number of people.

Sounds fun, but there are other rides I would place in front of that one. There are a couple of rides down the coast of Oregon as well as the coast of California that would be amazing to ride/see.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #35
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
c'mon man! just sign up for ULCER too..... actually i'm just being selfish and want more wheels to mike if i could ever keep up.
Pride...you and I can ride anytime (your avatar says you live in Holladay). I just live in Utah Co. over the point of the mountain...work in Salt Lake and ride all the time here, and there. Wasatch Blvd ought to be your best friend right now. Immigration Canyon....I might do that this week.

So, if you're really getting into riding...just let me know. However, there is one rule you must follow: 1) you have to give me a break on the first ride and can't outright kick my butt....just so you can't come over here and post about how you're just beginning and blew me off the road. Other than that...I'm good to go.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:46 AM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Had a buddy who rode that one, said it was awesome. Ride actually got "called" when he was in it after some time into the ride. Apparently it was either too hot, or it was taking too long because of the number of riders etc. Anyway, he said that there were massive lines due to the shear number of people.
If you friend got picked up on the sag wagon because the ride was coming to a close, then he must be slower than molasses on Pluto.

He may be talking about "Hell's gate" where if you don't make it in time, you can't take the turnoff to do the full century.

Yes, people have died on this ride. I felt like hell last year. It was especially hot and several of the stops had run out of ice (not their usual MO, and I'm sure it will be corrected this time).

Also, last year, Hell's Gate was closed early due to the medical doctor ordering it so (due to conditions). People were PISSED. I think I barely made it. So this year there will be timers at the rest stops indicating the time to closing of the gate.

It's so cool to start with 10,000 riders on the main street, with a jet flyby overheard. Great experience.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:19 AM   #37
bYuPride

Quote:
Pride...you and I can ride anytime (your avatar says you live in Holladay). I just live in Utah Co. over the point of the mountain...work in Salt Lake and ride all the time here, and there. Wasatch Blvd ought to be your best friend right now. Immigration Canyon....I might do that this week.

So, if you're really getting into riding...just let me know. However, there is one rule you must follow: 1) you have to give me a break on the first ride and can't outright kick my butt....just so you can't come over here and post about how you're just beginning and blew me off the road. Other than that...I'm good to go.
I'd love to ride that canyon... let me know when you go and I'll meet you. I won't be kicking anybody's butt that's for sure. I'm just out to learn and have fun. just let me know when.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 06-27-2007, 04:23 AM   #38
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Is the name of our team "The Cougarguard Studs"? I just want to make sure because I'm signing up tonight.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:05 PM   #39
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Is the name of our team "The Cougarguard Studs"? I just want to make sure because I'm signing up tonight.
We can use that.

Which category? I left you a voicemail to determine.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #40
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Looks like I will be in town and will be participating. I have even purchased some bike shorts for the occasion.

Prepare to see what slow is all about.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote