cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does anybody ever go on fun rides any more?

My group of friends are so aggressive, so cut-throat sometimes you wish to remember what it was like not to have your heartrate in your mouth every time. Today, each time I showed a weakness my buddy who was stronger attacked and just kicked my ass.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My group of friends are so aggressive, so cut-throat sometimes you wish to remember what it was like not to have your heartrate in your mouth every time. Today, each time I showed a weakness my buddy who was stronger attacked and just kicked my ass.
I don't. I push myself to suffering on every ride. If I don't, what is the point?
I have tried to ride easy and enjoy the scenery. But get bored and end up hammering.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's all I've ever do! Although after riding with Q, I've learned to push myself... I rode yesterday afternoon and it was freezing.. I pushed myself decently hard I think and nearly threw up... although I threw up about 6 or 7 times the night before so I think it was just from that.

Right now, I'm just riding for fitness and flab blasting. I have yet to go out with my club which ironically is cutthroat racing...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

I love the going back and forth and trying to hammer. Our group rides on Tuesday evening are typically about 40 miles. We try and keep the group together for the first 30 and then the last ten miles are fast with a sprint to the city limit signs. I like it when 21 year old kids from BYU-I join us on our group rides and can't hang on to us old guys at the end. I'm really sore after the ride and can hardly move but I've got a smile on my face.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I love the going back and forth and trying to hammer. Our group rides on Tuesday evening are typically about 40 miles. We try and keep the group together for the first 30 and then the last ten miles are fast with a sprint to the city limit signs. I like it when 21 year old kids from BYU-I join us on our group rides and can't hang on to us old guys at the end. I'm really sore after the ride and can hardly move but I've got a smile on my face.
Well, yesterday, running fourteen miles up the hills, hammered me, so I was disappointed a fresh racer was able to hammer me today, but there's always tomorrow. I felt like a pussy today.

I'm also on the tri bike for my July race. These are the fatigue days, when one wakes up tired, gets fatigued during the ride and walks around tired.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
RC Vikings

Quote:
Well, yesterday, running fourteen miles up the hills, hammered me, so I was disappointed a fresh racer was able to hammer me today, but there's always tomorrow. I felt like a pussy today.

I'm also on the tri bike for my July race. These are the fatigue days, when one wakes up tired, gets fatigued during the ride and walks around tired.
When one is really fatigued how much good are they doing by continuing to push themselves? Last week I put in three hard days (for me) in a row and was really feeling run down. Do you push through it or give yourself a rest?

Unless your name is Mark Allen or Dave Scott I don't think a pussy could run fourteen hard miles and still have strong legs the next day.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
When one is really fatigued how much good are they doing by continuing to push themselves? Last week I put in three hard days (for me) in a row and was really feeling run down. Do you push through it or give yourself a rest?

Unless your name is Mark Allen or Dave Scott I don't think a pussy could run fourteen hard miles and still have strong legs the next day.
Rest? And miss a chance to work?

The kid keeps me going and will be my mule at ULCER. He pushed us at about 16 mph up the hills and 26 mph on the flats, which for me is flying, unless a sprint is involved. Mind you, I was on the tri bike, not exactly what you want in a group or even with two. Have you ever noticed much sketchier a tri or TT bike is compared to a standard road?

The Borg is familiar where I ride. We have lots of rollers, not too hard, but constant rolling.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #8
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

wow... we have such different goals in cycling. I would not even be considered a cyclist in your book. I would be a dude with a bike and stretchy pants. although i love to ride and i'm starting to push myself more. i'm noticing more changes in my body and i feel like i'm getting stronger which is enough for me. being that i don't race, i could give a rats if somebody passes me...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:20 PM   #9
Quisqueyano

Quisqueyano

I had a hard couple of weeks. I took Sunday off. By Tues. night I had 30 miles on the bike and 10 miles running. I woke up Wed. feeling totally drained. My whole body hurt and I had no energy. I figured I was burned out and used the next 2 rainy days as excuses to rest. i feel fresh today and plan to pound the canyon for all it's worth.
Quisqueyano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
RC Vikings

Quote:
Rest? And miss a chance to work?

The kid keeps me going and will be my mule at ULCER. He pushed us at about 16 mph up the hills and 26 mph on the flats, which for me is flying, unless a sprint is involved. Mind you, I was on the tri bike, not exactly what you want in a group or even with two. Have you ever noticed much sketchier a tri or TT bike is compared to a standard road?

The Borg is familiar where I ride. We have lots of rollers, not too hard, but constant rolling.
Some guy showed up with a tri bike for our group ride two weeks ago. I won't even ride around them because they are all over the road. The alpha male in the group told him he was welcomed back but his bike wasn't.