cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My first ride. 8 miles.. for your reading pleasure..

So we start out on a pretty level road for a couple miles and then the road starts to incline for a long time, probably about a mile, and I'm starting to get fatigued. At this point I think my father in law is getting fatigued as well and he says as soon as we get to the top of the hill we should stop and figure out which route we want to go. (I think he just wanted to stop and rest for a second). So I pedal ahead and get to the top of the hill... as I'm coming to a stop, I pull my left foot out of the pedal and I'm trying to pull my right foot out, but it wouldn't and at a nearly complete stop, I fall to the right on my right side! ha ha! As if that weren't funny enough. Some soccer mom type in a mini van who is stopped at the intersection with her kids in the back seat yells to me, "Are you alright?! Do you need some help?" I quickly waved her off and started busted up laughing. My father in law comes up behind and is concerned that I'm super embarrassed... Of course I was embarrassed, but I all I could think of was how funny it would have looked from behind. My leg was all bloody and cut up but didn't hurt. After my father in law found out I was okay, he unzips his jersey and lays flat on his back and he's looking kind of green. He had a pork taco and beans and rice and soda just before he came. After that, we went another 5 miles or so and I had a total blast!

I've decided cycling is definitely not for whimps! I have to admit however, at this point, I'm a total whimp, but I'm excited to get better! I kind of feel like how Austin Collie feels when he said he feels at the bottom of the barrel in conditioning and so far behind all the other athletes. He's working his butt off though and he's getting better and better which is what my goal is as well.

On a side note, when I got home, I found my front tire was flat. What the hell? It didn't look like there was a hole or anything, how do I diagnose the problem? Another question... I'm totally pissed that some of my componentry has some war wounds... anyway to buff those out? They aren't big.. Final question... What is best to eat before a ride? Do power bars really give you extra energy?
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 04-04-2007 at 02:49 AM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to check your tire inside and out for any debris. Also check the rim. If you are really smart, take the tube out, and remember its orientation, so that when you find the leak you will know where it was in relation to the rim and tire.

Oh yes, it's best to practice clip-in in grass the first time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Your first "spud". Congratulations.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Your first "spud". Congratulations.

Spud? I'm assuming that means falling off my bike? My wife is wife is cleaning up the wounds right now and it hurts like hell!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 04-04-2007 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:11 AM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You need to check your tire inside and out for any debris. Also check the rim. If you are really smart, take the tube out, and remember its orientation, so that when you find the leak you will know where it was in relation to the rim and tire.

Oh yes, it's best to practice clip-in in grass the first time.
Yes, practicing in the grass... wonderful idea... where was this advice yesterday?! The only advice you could muster yesterday is having a numb dong was a bad thing. ha ha!

As far as fixing the tire, I'll just have to take it to my father in law's house. He has some crane thing to hang the bike on and stuff. He worked in a bike shop for a few years in his early 20's... we'll see if his skills are still in tact.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
Spud? My wife is wife is cleaning up the wounds right now and it hurts like hell!
Spudding is when you don't clip out in time and you land on your side. The name comes from SPD's but the term applies to the process regardless of what pedals you didn't clip out of. Don't feel bad, we've all done it at least once.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:19 AM   #7
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Spudding is when you don't clip out in time and you land on your side. The name comes from SPD's but the term applies to the process regardless of what pedals you didn't clip out of. Don't feel bad, we've all done it at least once.
gotcha! thanks!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Last edited by bYuPride; 04-04-2007 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:32 AM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my spuds. I went to my first race when I had returned from China without the ability to ride. I wanted to U turn but did not have the skill or speed to complete the turn anf fell over. The response to onlooking laughers was, "Welcome to cycling."

Those first few days were but three years ago, but now seem like an eternity ago. Welcome friend.

I can pretty much eat anything, before during and after, but generally, high carbs is good, fat is bad and protein is okay for long rides. Don't do too much too soon. Start with short rides and gradually increase ten to twenty percent per week.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I've done it once. Luckily landed in grass.

I've had numerous close calls, where I started to go down, but somehow at the last second I caught myself.

One time I came to some railroad tracks on a group ride, and ended up doing an endo. Went over the handlebars. Feet unclipped there.

My dad broke his collarbone last fall trying to push someone's seat (don't do it). His collarbone is still unjoined.

I broke my elbow at the age of 14 when my quick release popped off while riding.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:50 AM   #10
SteelBlue

I did it the very first time I tried road biking. We started from my buddy's driveway and headed up a slight incline. I didn't get clipped in on the first push and my momentum wasn't enough to carry the bike forward. It leaned to my already clipped in side and I was toast. Very embarrassing but also I think very common.