cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Road rage idiot

http://www.velonews.com/article/7977...ling-community

Former ER doc slams on car brakes in front of cyclists not once, but twice, causing two separate crashes. He's currently out on $30K bail. He's lucky all they got were a separated shoulder and a broken nose. Likely just a slap on the wrist.

Disgusting.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently he didn't attend the ethics INSTITUTE for docotrs. Do no harm? WHat an idiot.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3859370

It's a war out there.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post

WOw. The ignorance in the that thread is breathtaking. I woudl thinbk even Tex would be embarrassed.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
WOw. The ignorance in the that thread is breathtaking. I woudl thinbk even Tex would be embarrassed.
"Even" Tex? What's that supposed to mean?

I wonder if anybody read the article in the original post ...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn..._up_on_th.html

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
"Even" Tex? What's that supposed to mean?

I wonder if anybody read the article in the original post ...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingn..._up_on_th.html
I was just giving you a hard time about your pro pyscho cycle killer cop attitude from the other thread.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
creekster

Yes, I read the blog article, btw, and it had almost nothing to do with cars vs bikes, as it was really a drunk vs. the world. That this particualr incident should be a springboard for bike-phobes to launch attacks is ridiculous.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was just giving you a hard time about your pro pyscho cycle killer cop attitude from the other thread.
Quote:
Yes, I read the blog article, btw, and it had almost nothing to do with cars vs bikes, as it was really a drunk vs. the world. That this particualr incident should be a springboard for bike-phobes to launch attacks is ridiculous.
That's a wonderful rationalization. But I agree that it's not good to use it for an anti-cycling rant. Much like it's not good to use a tragic accident as a springboard to psychotically accuse sleepy negligent drivers of murder.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
That's a wonderful rationalization. But I agree that it's not good to use it for an anti-cycling rant. Much like it's not good to use a tragic accident as a springboard to psychotically accuse sleepy negligent drivers of murder.
Those two ar enot even close to be analogusly bad, if that makes sense. For example, the portland example involved a bike advocate advocating for more traffic saavy behavior bi bicyclists and this causes people to complain abotu bikes breaking the law? stupid.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

I'm not a biker, but the car rage people are ridiculous. What I don't get is why it isn't fun to see bikers on the road. I love to see them moving themselves by their own power, enjoying the outdoors, pushing their limits . . . That a driver gets anger b/c of some deceleration for a person who is outside doing something worthwhile and productive shows that he is taking life entirely at too quick a pace.

Last Fall we drove from Utah to Yosemite through Nevada on Highway 50, "the loneliest road in America." In Ely for a pit stop, we met a man from Alaska, in his 50s, who was biking from San Fransciso to Las Vegas. His get up was a marvel -- not expensive and shiny, but ingenious in its compactness and everything just so for accessibility's sake. He was pulling one of those small hook-ons, with plastic containers bungee-corded down. He rode by day, and camped on the side of the road by night, or made it to towns like Ely for the KOA campground. He did not stay in hotels. There is just not much on Highway 50 but mountain range, valley, mountain range, valley, mountain range, valley --- very beautiful in its own way, but it takes a real adventurer to conquer it on his own with just his bike. After talking to him, I felt truly inspired --- and lazy.

Oh yeah -- he also recharged his iPod and cellphone with a solar battery pack of some sort. They guy was as lean as as can be, but obviously tough as nails. With his resourcefulness, he will be one of the survivors if McCarthy's vision of The Road ever comes to be, and not b/c he'd be one of the hunters; he'd just out pace and out wit the bandits.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 07-11-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote