cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Falling down fracturing my two front teeth and breaking a corner off of one of the cuspids. Thankfully the front teeth have still managed to hold up, although the dentists always freak when they see the fractures. Over time the cuspid just stopped hurting.

Got the end of my big toe ripped up when it got caught on the edge of a steel door that was being opened.

My older brother slammed two of my finger in the suburban door, on the same side as the hinges (I have no idea what I was doing with my fingers over there), and he had locked the door. The locks were disabled from the inside, so I had to sit there with my fingers in the door while he went in the house to find my mother and the car keys. That really didn't feel great.

My jaw after my wisdom teeth surgery was so sore that I could barely open it wide enough to change the gauze. Just glad it wasn't broken though, the surgeon wasn't sure he wouldn't have to break it because he felt like my mouth was a little on the small side for the complicated nature of the removal.

Burned my wrist when someone shouldered me into the heat lamp we had set up for the baby chicks in 2nd grade. For reasons that are still not clear to me I felt like I did something wrong and therefore never told anyone, didn't get any ice or medicine, just stuck it out. I still have a little scar to show for it.

Got frostbite at girls camp one year that gave me blisters all over my hands. The blisters actually just sort of itched, but getting so cold that I got frostbite was horrible.

Almost forgot, the time my older brother decided to kick me in the stomach. I think he was too young to know how much that was going to hurt.

Last edited by Black Diamond Bay; 08-13-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #12
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgot about the time I slammed my own finger in a car door. It awelled up like a polish sausage. WHen they took me tot he ER the docotr pulled out a scalpel that looked pretty much like an exacto knife, put the point in the middle of my finger nail, twirled the knife to bore a hole in the nail, and then stood back while blood literally spurted out of the hole. Very unpleasant.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 PM   #13
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a few, including the crash a few days before the '04 golf tournament where I was scheduled to play with Lavell and Robbie. I swear my first thought, when I got up and my arm was bent in a new direction, was "crap, I'm not playing golf Friday." The pain was excruciating until I experienced the pleasures of morphine.

The A&M Holiday Bowl was a close second.

BTW, my condolences to Archaea. Brother, I feel your pain.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 PM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I been relatively pain-free most of my life, but I would have to say my most painful experience was self-removal of a gnarly ingrown toenail while on my mission. Jamming the scissors underneath the nail almost did me in, then pulling a third of my toe nail off with some tweezers had me seeing stars and nearly passing out from the pain.

Other than, my second worst time would probably have been the jaw pain following extraction of 4 impacted wisdom teeth. The bone pain wasn't terrible, but seeing that In-n-Burger in front of me 5 or 6 days later and knowing I was helpless to fit it in between my teeth was more than any red-blooded male should have to bear.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #15
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Upon reviewing this thread several other very painful incidents from my life came to mymind (wood chip embedded in my eyeball; ingrown toenail recetnyl recounted here; several mishaps with knives requireing stitches, broken ribs, etc.) and I came to the conclusion that I must be a bit of a klutz. Too many stupid things to account for otherwise.

One very painful one to add is I spilled boiling water down my stomach. A big blister-y pussy patch of skin about 4" square that really, really hurt. I have great empathy for serious burn victims.

Last edited by creekster; 08-14-2007 at 01:00 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #16
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

I've lived a relatively pain-free life. My most painful incident was ripping my fingernail off my middle finger once when I was about 13 years old. The whole nail. Off. That one hurt. I've also had a broken collar bone and ingrown toenail surgery. They were relatively painful at the time but wouldn't really win me anything in a most-painful contest.

The rest of my pain incidents are only your garden variety bumps, scrapes, bruises, and burns.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #17
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I hurt my ankle playing HS football. It was originally diagnosed as a severely sprained ankle, so the doctors encouraged me to walk on it and push myself to help the ankles heal. The pain was horrible and it kept getting worse. About two weeks later I found out I had been walking on a broken ankle (fractured talus). Those two weeks were pure hell. I remember having to push my left knee down with my hand to compress the clutch on my car.

When I was 16 I got jumped by an indigent in DC, in the park areas near Union Station. I was running as fast as I could, turned around and punched him as hard as I could. It dropped him flat, but it also broke my hand. Once the adrenaline wore off I was almost in tears because of the pain.

Right before my mission I was working construction for an excavator. We were installing a fire hydrant, the chain slipped from the backhoe holding the hydrant and it fell on my hand. My hand was broken and I went into the MTC with a soft cast. I hated wearing the damn thing so I took it off as soon as my parents were out of site. I did fine until my branch president shook my hand in one of those,"I know everything I need to know about you from your handshake" way. Hurt like hell.

All told I've broken both legs, both hands, a few ribs, an arm, a handful of fingers, collarbone and have dislocated my shoulder.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #18
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

my most painful moments...

apendicitis.. almost burst. my mom had told me to take some tylenol and go to bed.

kidney stone.. made getting my appendix removal seem like a walk in the park. the stint was probably the worst part. nothing like having a tube and string hanging out your wanker and peeing blood for a few days.

and on emotional pain that Requiem brought up..

having one of my best friends get hit by a dump truck and die while her parents were serving as mission presidents in Brazil, and 2 brothers on missions while she is on music scholarship at Indiana University. One of the hardest things to ever deal with.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 AM   #19
FMCoug

FMCoug

I don't have any cool injury stories so I guress I'd have to go with appendecitis. It was inflamed and they told me it was close to bursting when they took it out. But the inflamed appendix and accompanying surgery and recover were cake compared to the true painful experience. After spending several hours in the hospital while they were trying to figure out where the pain was coming from, doing several less invasive tests, etc. they decide they have to do a barium enema. So they lay me down on the a hard x-ray table, facedown, shove a tube up my butt and proceed to pump me full of this white chalky stuff. Then I have to "hold it" while they take the x-rays. Imagine the most severe case of diarrea you can and having to hold it in, while laying on a hard table, which is putting pressure on your inflamed appendix. Oh and you're running a fever and feel like crap to start with.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I don't have any cool injury stories so I guress I'd have to go with appendecitis. It was inflamed and they told me it was close to bursting when they took it out. But the inflamed appendix and accompanying surgery and recover were cake compared to the true painful experience. After spending several hours in the hospital while they were trying to figure out where the pain was coming from, doing several less invasive tests, etc. they decide they have to do a barium enema. So they lay me down on the a hard x-ray table, facedown, shove a tube up my butt and proceed to pump me full of this white chalky stuff. Then I have to "hold it" while they take the x-rays. Imagine the most severe case of diarrea you can and having to hold it in, while laying on a hard table, which is putting pressure on your inflamed appendix. Oh and you're running a fever and feel like crap to start with.
You should have mentioned your RV dumping incident. That had to be some pretty bad emotional pain as well as pain on the nose.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote