cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

in general it's better to be near the front of the group.

because if you are in the back, someone gets weak and a gap opens, and then you have to either drift back with him, or close the gap.

takes a lot of energy to close gaps. so the guys in the back do the accordian drill and it kills them.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #12
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Bring enough gels, blocks, food and liquid in the jersey for going a significant distance so that you don't stop.
For someone thats never gone over 50 miles, this should be a lot of grub. Pride, make sure you get plenty of carbs, but don't forget plenty of salt as well. If its going to be as hot as the forecast shows, dehydration or hyponatremia could definitely be an issue. A baggie of wheat thins should do it.

You may also consider throwing an extra water bottle in your jersey pocket for good measure, depending on how often the taskmaster Archaea will allow you to stop. Typically, there is a rest stop every 20 miles or so in organized rides, which is perfect for refilling bottles. But if you skip one or two of them, its easy to get behind in your fluids while you are busy trying to conserve so you don't run out.

I'm jealous of you guys. Sounds like you'll have a great ride.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

In Texas the stops are every 10 miles. At least on the rides I participate in. But one usually doesn't stop at every rest stop.

Remember to stay hydrated. If you feel thirsty, you are getting behind, and that is bad. Drink before you are thirsty.

Bring a pickle. Mmmmm.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Oh and for the record, in my opinion, a 5 hour century is exactly that - a century. If my cyclometer hits 100 miles at 4:59:59, then I just did a sub-5 hour century, even if I did have 11 miles to go to the finish.

20 mph average is tough enough for a non-racer. 22-23 mph is next to impossible, imo.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Oh and for the record, in my opinion, a 5 hour century is exactly that - a century. If my cyclometer hits 100 miles at 4:59:59, then I just did a sub-5 hour century, even if I did have 11 miles to go to the finish.

20 mph average is tough enough for a non-racer. 22-23 mph is next to impossible, imo.
Not really. I did HHH in over 20mph (not rolling average either, included stops).

When the course is flat, and you can suck wheel most of the way, you can be a fat recreational rider.

Of course for the racers 23mph is a piece of cake. Esp. if they don't stop.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #16
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I agree with you here. I think the first 100 in under 5 is very doable but not realistic for the whole 111.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:50 PM   #17
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
I have picked up packets for myself, Arch, Arch's homeboy and RC Vikings. I also picked up the team packet and we have jersey numbers 37 - 42. I call I'm number either number 40 or 41. I'm still deciding. ha ha!

So the plan is to meet at 6:00 am. Looks like there's a bunch of rest stops throughout the course and a lunch break at the 66 mile mark. So what's our strategy? Are we just going to see how we feel as a team and stop at an aid station when necessary? Or will we have pre-selected aid stations we are going to make it to and push through everything else?

Let me know if you have any questions...
Thanks for picking that up. I'm a little worried what Arch has in store for us from 6am until the ride starts.

The key to a long ride is to make sure you don't run out of fuel. Take in a gel every 15 miles and a couple of those shot bloks.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Take a banana as well. Good energy. But I don't suggest you store it in your cycling shorts.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #19
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
For someone thats never gone over 50 miles, this should be a lot of grub. Pride, make sure you get plenty of carbs, but don't forget plenty of salt as well. If its going to be as hot as the forecast shows, dehydration or hyponatremia could definitely be an issue. A baggie of wheat thins should do it.

You may also consider throwing an extra water bottle in your jersey pocket for good measure, depending on how often the taskmaster Archaea will allow you to stop. Typically, there is a rest stop every 20 miles or so in organized rides, which is perfect for refilling bottles. But if you skip one or two of them, its easy to get behind in your fluids while you are busy trying to conserve so you don't run out.

I'm jealous of you guys. Sounds like you'll have a great ride.
so i need a bag of wheat thins, some gu gel shot block crap, mike says to put an extra bannana in my shorts, 2 water bottles on the bike and another for my jersey. meeting at 6am means that my water/cytomax will be warm by the time i drive down to happy valley and wait an additional hour before we start. what other stuff do i need to get me through the ride?

i really don't want to take my mule camel bak unless i have to. my Y on my jersey should be visible for all to see. Not many from my cycling club knows who i am and i'm not riding with them so i'm not wearing the club jersey...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.

Last edited by bYuPride; 08-09-2007 at 08:41 PM.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #20
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
in general it's better to be near the front of the group.

because if you are in the back, someone gets weak and a gap opens, and then you have to either drift back with him, or close the gap.

takes a lot of energy to close gaps. so the guys in the back do the accordian drill and it kills them.
duly noted (i don't know what duly means, but i've heard people say that)... i guess we'll just have to decide on the fly what i'm to do out there. i'm nervous about holding people up. I'm wondering how long my adrenaline will keep me from looking like a fool... 1/2 mile?

that said, i'm looking forward to meeting those of you who are going. should be a fun time!
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote