cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone see this about Rasmussen?

http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/12841.0.html

Enough suspicious behavior to warrant being kicked off of the Danish National team apparently. Not reporting his whereabouts for testing during his training.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody read "From Lance to Landis"?

It seems somebody mentioned it, but I will read my buddy's copy after he's through.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
http://www.velonews.com/race/int/articles/12841.0.html

Enough suspicious behavior to warrant being kicked off of the Danish National team apparently. Not reporting his whereabouts for testing during his training.
I also read where he likes to train alone and not in his rabobank kit. THis is sort of unsual,a s you might imagine, and rasies suspicions about what he si doing in training. Whatever drugs he might be taking, however, I think we can safely assume they were low calorie.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Did German TV ever start covering the tour after the other day?

German T-mobile rider tested positive in June.

I think Rasmussen is a cheater. Anyone with smoke around them, I think is a cheater. Including Lance Armstrong.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I think Rasmussen is a cheater. Anyone with smoke around them, I think is a cheater. Including Lance Armstrong.
They are still nto covereing it and I don't understand it. SO sinkewitz tests positive. So what? Germany also has Gerdemann, who was in yellow and is very vocal about being clean. WHy not cover him? It seems like a lot of grandstanding for ratings (in place of the otur they ran a special about doping among riders such as Sinkewitz and Ullrich) and perhaps self-flagellation, which the Germans seem to like to do from time to time (at least since WWII).
Old 07-19-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:

Upon reviewing some of the materials from Lance to Landis, I now believe there is probably NO clean rider before maybe this tour, since even before Eddy Merckyx.

Read that book, and you might become convinced that it is a level field, with all members of domestiques and winners cheating at the same level.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have problems with TV protesting the fraudulent nature of professional cycling. He tested positive quite a while ago, and German TV is upset that it is just coming out now, after he crashed out.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Upon reviewing some of the materials from Lance to Landis, I now believe there is probably NO clean rider before maybe this tour, since even before Eddy Merckyx.

Read that book, and you might become convinced that it is a level field, with all members of domestiques and winners cheating at the same level.
You could be right, depending on how you define doping or drug use, but the field hasn't been level becasue no one knows what anyone else was using or how.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You could be right, depending on how you define doping or drug use, but the field hasn't been level becasue no one knows what anyone else was using or how.
Other than a casual review, I don't have good knowledge of it.

But, the ONCE team looked for hotels based on which hotels had paintings on the top of the ceiling so they could hang their drugs.

Apparently all the domestiques and winners do a combination, depending upon time in season, of EPO, steroids and cortizones. The domestiques have to do it to keep up with the winners, and each must purchase his own drugs. it sounds more credible based on feedback I'm receiving.

The riders are hooked up to a machine to monitor heart rate, even during Tour to avoid heart attack.

Pedro Delgado was the one that started the EPO craze, the one who demolished Lemond, who was into blood doping.

Last edited by Archaea; 07-19-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
creekster

Quote:
I don't have problems with TV protesting the fraudulent nature of professional cycling. He tested positive quite a while ago, and German TV is upset that it is just coming out now, after he crashed out.
Give me a break, now you're just trying to yank my chain. All sports have cheats so I assume you think they all have a fraudulent nature? The question is why quit showing it? Are they trying to improve the sport by placing pressure on it or do they think more people would p[refer to wallow in the mire with Ullrich's and others' indiscretions? If you have a guy like Gerdemann who is young and loudly clean, why not promote him and try to help the sport while still letting fans see the race? It seems very paternalistic and unlikely to lead to anything of use except for notoriety for the TV stations and their managers. Yippee.

Sinkewitz was tested on June 8, The test took about 2 weeks to run and for some reason unclear to me the German federation has been sitting on the results. Both Bob Stapleton, T-Mob's DS, and Sinkewits heard about the result from the press, to whom the result had been leaked. The result has apparently been confirmed, but the B sample has not been tested and Sinkewtiz has not said if he wants a B sample test. We know very little about this circumstance at this point, and should wait to see how it play out.

Btw, Sinkewitz did not 'crash out'. He collided with a wayward spectator when he was rolling back to the team cars AFTER a stage had been completed.