cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #11
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
OK. I get the difference between mtn and road. I incorrectly assumed all your cannondales were road bikes, when in reality they make both.

My question was more geared to bikes in the same species, a la all road bikes. And you answered. I had no idea there were so many varieties.

A triple bike? Is that even enjoyable? I guess it could be fun. I triple stroller is not fun.
I didn't spend as much time as I might have. There are many different types of Mtn bikes as well. Many different types of road bikes. Ask arch about Triathlon bikes, which are also unique. It is similar to the surfboard world.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #12
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default About to pull the trigger on a mountain bike

See here for details and let me know if you think I'm wrong in the head. The general idea is to spend as little as possible on a serviceable bike and later on dig into it if I want to.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=21
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
See here for details and let me know if you think I'm wrong in the head. The general idea is to spend as little as possible on a serviceable bike and later on dig into it if I want to.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...1&postcount=21
Saris bones for a trunk rack.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

You can always take off the wheels and put everything in your trunk.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #14
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

FM I think you are on the right track. THe more you spend the better the wheels will be, but I think you will be fine with one of those choices.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

My trunk is full of batteries. It's tiny.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #16
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
FM I think you are on the right track. THe more you spend the better the wheels will be, but I think you will be fine with one of those choices.
The bottom line is I worked up a sweat just test riding these bikes around the block at the bike store. I'm sure just about anything will do me just fine for exercise for the next few months. Then if I get a better bike for the road, I'll have this for camping trips, etc.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #17
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:

Who would I want that over say the Thule 3-bike one at the same site for $69.99? Would these guys have these in stock at the Dallas location if I wanted to run over there and get one before going to the other shop to get the bike?
Old 02-29-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

I may be too late to get in on the thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

You can get away with a $300-400 bike, but if you stick with biking, you'll look to upgrade within a year. (I speak from my own experience here.) The bikes at that price point are relatively heavy and don't have very good components. Look for at least the Shimano Alivio level, and avoid Acera on down.

Once you get to about the $600-800 price level, you start getting lighter frames with better components, and you won't be as likely to have breakdowns, bad shifting, etc.

5'9" with a short inseam means a large frame is too large. Look for a medium, or something between 15"-17" frame size. For now, you're riding for fun and exercise, so you want a more upright position, anyway. At your weight, you'll be more comfortable with a little more upright, less aggressive position. Also, you want to take it camping and/or ride with the kids, so all these things pretty much eliminate a road frame for now.

So you've narrowed it down to a mountain or hybrid style. In your BikeForum thread, you mention looking at the Trek 3700, 4300, and 4500. Of those, I'd recommend the 4500 because of the better component spec. A fairly comparable bike is the Specialized Rockhopper.

Too bad you're not a bit taller. I've got a hardtail sitting in my garage that's not getting much use these days; the frame is a warranty replacement after the original frame broke a chainstay, and only has half a dozen rides on it.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker310 View Post
I may be too late to get in on the thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

You can get away with a $300-400 bike, but if you stick with biking, you'll look to upgrade within a year. (I speak from my own experience here.) The bikes at that price point are relatively heavy and don't have very good components. Look for at least the Shimano Alivio level, and avoid Acera on down.

Once you get to about the $600-800 price level, you start getting lighter frames with better components, and you won't be as likely to have breakdowns, bad shifting, etc.

5'9" with a short inseam means a large frame is too large. Look for a medium, or something between 15"-17" frame size. For now, you're riding for fun and exercise, so you want a more upright position, anyway. At your weight, you'll be more comfortable with a little more upright, less aggressive position. Also, you want to take it camping and/or ride with the kids, so all these things pretty much eliminate a road frame for now.

So you've narrowed it down to a mountain or hybrid style. In your BikeForum thread, you mention looking at the Trek 3700, 4300, and 4500. Of those, I'd recommend the 4500 because of the better component spec. A fairly comparable bike is the Specialized Rockhopper.

Too bad you're not a bit taller. I've got a hardtail sitting in my garage that's not getting much use these days; the frame is a warranty replacement after the original frame broke a chainstay, and only has half a dozen rides on it.
I'm a bit taller. With less stubby legs.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:03 PM   #20
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

Quote:
I'm a bit taller. With less stubby legs.
LOL! Come on over, we'll see what we can do.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote