cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The MWC issue

is that there is not a good team. Last year was the MWC's high point, two solid top 20 teams. In '99 it had one top 20 team in CSU and two marginal in Utah and BYU. 2000 it had one in CSU that was top 20, nobody else was close. 2001 it had one in BYU when Luke was healthy, noboyd else was close. 2002 it had one in CSU and nobody else was close. 2003 it had Utah and nobody else close. 2004 it had Utah and nobody else close. 2005 it had TCU and nobody else close. 2006 it had BYU and TCU clearly in and nobody else close.

BYU might get to be a top 25 team and to be honest so might AF if they can get past UNM and WYO, but both cannot lose another game. However, neither team will be as good as most of the teams I listed above. I think there is a subtle degrading in talent going on due to BCS and the mtn, but it will take more years to see if I am right.

This should have been a year for either TCU or Utah to have been that good MWC team, but clearly they are not.

I still maintain that this is one of BYU's better team for a rebuilding year in many years. The problem with this team is Max's innexperience and the fact that he either suffers from amnesia, he forgets his teams jersey color, or color blindness once BYU gets inside the opponents 20. I still think what we are seeing indicates that BYU is going to pretty formidable the next couple of years, but BYU should not be formidable this year and is probably doing better than most should have expected.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:31 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't follow the other MWC teams like I do Utah, thus I can only give input on the Utes. I know they are loaded with juniors this year, and were hoping for another 2003-type season: building confidence and experience for an outstanding 2008. Nearly everyone will be back next season...including Asiata.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:08 AM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I don't follow the other MWC teams like I do Utah, thus I can only give input on the Utes. I know they are loaded with juniors this year, and were hoping for another 2003-type season: building confidence and experience for an outstanding 2008. Nearly everyone will be back next season...including Asiata.
I think that 2008 might be a great year for the MWC. It seems like the whole conference has young talent this year. For BYU, there's simply no doubt that our offense will be vastly improved next year, but our defense could really go either way. I would certainly expect a bunch more total points per game next year.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
i think that 2008 might be a great year for the mwc. It seems like the whole conference has young talent this year. For byu, there's simply no doubt that our offense will be vastly improved next year, but our defense could really go either way. I would certainly expect a bunch more total points per game next year.
ding
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
BYUsportsguy

BYUsportsguy is on a distinguished road

wow, woot really called it

and BTW it's supposed to be w00t
BYUsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote