cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What BYU needs to be successful

The two best players on the team were Cummard and Plaisted.

So, the weaknesses on the team are at the 1, 2, and 4 positions.

Fredette has proved himself a heady player and will be the starting PG next season. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in decision making and cojones.

The real killer this season was not having a serviceable 4. A not-very-athletic Tavernari at 6'6" does not cut it. Few offensive boards, gives up offensive boards. No put backs. Big defensive liability. BYU has to have a springy athletic 4 that clean the glass on both ends, that is a stopper on the defensive end.

Burgess was our best defensive guard, and so we will need a good defender at the 2, esp. with slow-footed Fredette at the 1. A stopper who can put the ball on the floor and go to the rim and hit the open 3.

So what about a lineup as follows

1-fredette
2-cummard
3-tavernari
4-?
5-plaisted

(btw, the idea of plaisted playing the 4, when he has zero face up game is ridiculous)

If we have the above lineup, who is at the 4?

One thing I've noticed in the tourney is that ALL of the good teams are excellent on defense. BYU's defense was good, but not at the level to win games in the tourney. We need better defense.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

One other thing: Trent needs to get a LOT stronger. When Joe Darger can push you from the block to 12 feet out, you are not NBA-ready.

That has to the priority for Trent. My guess, however, is that he spends the entire off season working on his 12 feet out face up game, and that it will still suck.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you imagine if this years team had Keena Young? That sure would have helped.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:07 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I've said this before. I see a college basketballl team's defensive intensity as a reflection on the coach's character. Like playing defense and practicing defense, coaching defense must be a lot harder and more drudgery than offense. What finally turned me agaisnt Giacoletti was the Utes going an entire season almost last in the country in three-point defense.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The two best players on the team were Cummard and Plaisted.

So, the weaknesses on the team are at the 1, 2, and 4 positions.

Fredette has proved himself a heady player and will be the starting PG next season. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in decision making and cojones.

The real killer this season was not having a serviceable 4. A not-very-athletic Tavernari at 6'6" does not cut it. Few offensive boards, gives up offensive boards. No put backs. Big defensive liability. BYU has to have a springy athletic 4 that clean the glass on both ends, that is a stopper on the defensive end.

Burgess was our best defensive guard, and so we will need a good defender at the 2, esp. with slow-footed Fredette at the 1. A stopper who can put the ball on the floor and go to the rim and hit the open 3.

So what about a lineup as follows

1-fredette
2-cummard
3-tavernari
4-?
5-plaisted

(btw, the idea of plaisted playing the 4, when he has zero face up game is ridiculous)

If we have the above lineup, who is at the 4?

One thing I've noticed in the tourney is that ALL of the good teams are excellent on defense. BYU's defense was good, but not at the level to win games in the tourney. We need better defense.
I actually agree with you 100% on this post, move Cummard to the 2, Tav to the 3 and play either Mcgregor (6'9 with about as much offensive game as Collinsworth) or Hartsock (6'9, Oklahoma player of the year, can flat out score but is coming straight off a mission and will be a freshman) at the 4.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #6
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I actually agree with you 100% on this post, move Cummard to the 2, Tav to the 3 and play either Mcgregor (6'9 with about as much offensive game as Collinsworth) or Hartsock (6'9, Oklahoma player of the year, can flat out score but is coming straight off a mission and will be a freshman) at the 4.
You can also run a smaller lineup out there with Morgan & Loyd playing the 1 & 2.

Next year's team should be nothing if not flexible.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

What difference does it make where Cummard plays when we dont go to him down the stretch against UNLV or against TAMU?

rose needs to go to him on every possession in crunch time. he needs to touch the ball. And he needs to demand the ball.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
What difference does it make where Cummard plays when we dont go to him down the stretch against UNLV or against TAMU?

rose needs to go to him on every possession in crunch time. he needs to touch the ball. And he needs to demand the ball.
I agree. I think down the stretch you have to sit Tavernari. He takes too many shots away from Cummard. What was with that half court shot with a couple of minutes left and we were down 6.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I agree. I think down the stretch you have to sit Tavernari. He takes too many shots away from Cummard. What was with that half court shot with a couple of minutes left and we were down 6.
To be fair, that shot was not very characteristic of JT's recent shot selection.

On the other hand (and just as fair), that shot at the very least cost BYU a shot at the win. Even if it'd gone down, I'd have been pretty upset with the shot.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 03-24-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Lee missed two pull-up jumpers from 18 in the last two minutes of play.