cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm very cordial on and off the court. I don't need to try to intimidate people.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm cordial as well. Until someone takes a cheap shot. Then I turn it up a gear and get more physical. And if I'm really mad and I have the ball, watch out. But that only happens once every 3 years. Last time that happened, I remember I went down the lane full speed, hoping this guy would stand in front of me, but I was going to hit him like a rhinoceros. I can't remember what happened, but I didn't get to impact him like I wanted. I think he got out of the way real quick. I was pissed then, I think it was because he took a cheapshot on me from behind when I was on a breakaway.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
actually a guy kinda did this to me the other day. He put his forearm right in my chest. I shoved him immediately afterward. He whined. Which means I won.
I am not the basketball players you guys are, but when people try what Mike is describing, I found it fun because I would come down along the spine of the person whipping the forearms with my forearm. Sometimes you can even catch them with the elbow. If it is done with too much malice, though, you can injure that person's spine and cause permanent injury. Being an ineffective basketball player also mean I frequently drove by twisting my knees into the opponent's thighs. There nice neurological points of weakness where striking it with kneecap that can weaken the opponent's base.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, another way to get in a good lick is when you are going to the rim, and then you explode up and through the attempted block, often striking the chin, face, or other body parts as you do so. It makes fouling you less attractive. I don't do this on purpose, but I am usually ok with the result.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:52 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Don't forget hard picks. You can really have some fun, especially if they don't see the pick coming.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 AM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that a prison quality shank applied around the kidney area is very effective. I generally don't get fouled again. Geez you guys, I'm starting to realize why I retired from church ball. A bunch of grown ass men giving way too much thought to how to get a good elbow in.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I find that a prison quality shank applied around the kidney area is very effective. I generally don't get fouled again. Geez you guys, I'm starting to realize why I retired from church ball. A bunch of grown ass men giving way too much thought to how to get a good elbow in.
That's Mike the cheapshot artist. I don't throw elbows. I don't need to.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see why nobody would want to play ball with Mike, elbows to the kidneys, elbows to the bridge of the nose, and I imagine knees to the groin, all for a silly stupid basketball game at church.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #19
myboynoah

I've noticed JT throws some elbows. I wonder if that means anything.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:52 PM   #20
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Some of you guys are why I'm mostly retired from basketball. You're not going pro. You're out there for the cardio and the fun. If you're guarding a guy 8" taller than you in the paint, chances are he's going to score. Try switching to a shorter player. I'm all for playing tough, hard nosed ball, boxing out, putting a body on someone in the paint, but it's not cool to play dirty and hurt people because you need an advantage.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote