cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Two things we learned about MMA tonight............

Fedor is the best Heavyweight in the world and its not close.

Anderson Silva is the best pound for pound fighter in the world and its not close.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post

Anderson Silva is the best pound for pound fighter in the world and its not close.
I don't know enough about MMA to know who's in each specific weight class....but are Silva and Penn in close enough weight classes to fight each other?...Same question regarding GSP.

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This is getting funny....

Silva beats a 3rd tier LHW in short fashion.

Fedor beats a top 5 HW in 33 seconds.

And you say Silva is the best P4P and it's not even close?

All things considered one has to give that title to Fedor. In fact he HAS to be considered the greatest MMA fighter of all time. Dude's never lost a legitimate fight and look at the laundry list of wins: Nogueira twice, Arona, Coleman, Randleman, Goodridge, Cro Cop, Hunt, Herring and now the UFC's best HW over the past 2 and a half years.

Now would Silva come in at a close second? No doubt about it, but until Fedor loses a legitimate fight, and until he starts struggling against 2nd and 3rd tier fighters you can't dethrone the Last Emperor.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
This is getting funny....

Silva beats a 3rd tier LHW in short fashion.

Fedor beats a top 5 HW in 33 seconds.

And you say Silva is the best P4P and it's not even close?

All things considered one has to give that title to Fedor. In fact he HAS to be considered the greatest MMA fighter of all time. Dude's never lost a legitimate fight and look at the laundry list of wins: Nogueira twice, Arona, Coleman, Randleman, Goodridge, Cro Cop, Hunt, Herring and now the UFC's best HW over the past 2 and a half years.

Now would Silva come in at a close second? No doubt about it, but until Fedor loses a legitimate fight, and until he starts struggling against 2nd and 3rd tier fighters you can't dethrone the Last Emperor.
I think Fedor is unbelievable but 3 fights in the past 2 1/2 years dethrones him as the best pound for pound fighter. I still want to see him fight Randy (I do think Fedor would kill him) but other than that the Heavyweight division is a joke. It is very weak right now and yes Fedor is at the top of it but it is still weak. Fedors last 3 fights were over Sylvia last night, Hong Man Choi and a washed up Matt Lindland. He needs to fight more than that.

Silva in the past 2 1/2 years has beaten the likes of Dan Henderson, Rich Franklin (twice), Travis Lutter, Nate Marquardt, and Chris Leben. He has single handedly destroyed the 185 pound division. He just walked through a 205 pounder that needed extra time to make weight. I just read a rumor that he will fight the winner of Chuck and Rashad. If he walks through the 205 pound division then even you wont be able to deny the fact that he is the best pound for pound fighter in the world.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
cougjunkie

Let me add that Sherdog didnt even had Fedor ranked 4th before the Rampage loss. Now they have Anderson and GSP both ahead of Fedor in the pound for pound rankings.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I don't know enough about MMA to know who's in each specific weight class....but are Silva and Penn in close enough weight classes to fight each other?...Same question regarding GSP.

Thanks.
Bj Penn would probably take that fight with Silva because he will fight anyone, anytime anywhere, you can watch him on Youtube fight Lyoto Machida at 205.

But it wont happen with Penn and Silva, Silva is a true 185 pounder and Penn is 155.

Penn (155) vs GSP (170) is rumored to be happening in December.

If we see Anderson walk through the 205 pound division like he did at 185, then we may see Anderson vs GSP, but Dana White said he really doesnt want it to happen because of how much bigger Anderson Silva is, he fought at 205 last night and looked really good.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

no depth in UFC. They fight champions against guys just recently put in a gym from the local bar.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:18 PM   #8
cougjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
no depth in UFC. They fight champions against guys just recently put in a gym from the local bar.
Well what does that say about the rest of the MMA world, since the UFC has by far the most depth in the sport.

Why do you think I am so against other organizations? I dont want MMA to become like boxing where we never have a true champion. I want to see the best fighters fight each other. I think we can get close to that except for the pussy Japanese fighters that want to beat up on each other in Dream.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #9
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well what does that say about the rest of the MMA world, since the UFC has by far the most depth in the sport.
There are divisions in MMA that are weak. 185 was the worst division in the sport until Anderson Silva came to the UFC. Who had Franklin fought in the previous 3 years? Jason MacDonald? What fighters are there after Franklin and Okami? Patrick Cote? Are you freaking kidding me?

I think the only way Silva gets decent fights is by staying at 205. Dude walks around at 220. He looked to be 215 last night at fight time.

Quote:
Why do you think I am so against other organizations? I dont want MMA to become like boxing where we never have a true champion. I want to see the best fighters fight each other. I think we can get close to that except for the pussy Japanese fighters that want to beat up on each other in Dream.
If you want the top competition fighting each other, you have to route for the destruction of the UFC, or at least amendments in the way they handle their fighters. They don't allow their fighters to fight against anybody except other UFC fighters, their matches are all decided by what will create the most revenue, (Rumor is Liddell gets Forrest if he wins, loses 2 of 4 and gets a title shot, wowzers) and any subpar performance gets a fighter off of main cards and on untelevised portions of weak PPV's. (Arlovski's name ring a bell? Post fight he sure seemed like he was sticking with Afflction)
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of the DREAM fights are more entertaining than the UFC fights.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote