cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 02:49 PM   #1
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road
Default What's the big deal with a bit of knowledge?

I haven't yet seen the documentary, but probably will watch the online version when I get the chance. Evidently it ruffled a few feathers, though, based on what I see on CB.

The group of close-minded fundamentalists on the board would do well to have a chat with a friend of mine named Roger Keller. He's a bigwig in the BYU religion dept (I think he's the head) and also the bishop of my "childhood" ward. He used to be a Methodist preacher, was baptized, went back to preaching in another church, was excommunicated, was rebaptized, and then became a fantastic man.

He also says (and I quote), "we do not check our brains at the church door." He is very keen on open-minded study of our doctrine and history and does a marvelous job at separating our culture from our dogma.

My point is that I cannot understand the visceral reaction that people have into inquiry. Sure, not all of the stuff in Mormon history is either nice to deal with or easy to explain. So? The Catholics have that whole Spanish Inquisition thing to deal with.

My testimony is based on spiritual revelation that came as a result of study, prayer, and spiritual witness. However, my understanding of the gospel is based on (and is increased by) thoughtful study and critical thinking in addition to prayer.

If nothing else, open-minded inquiry into topics that I find difficult reminds me that I don't know everything and that sometimes I have to go on faith, which is what religion is all about anyway.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mormons are defensive. And not without good reason.

Some of us have experienced discrimination. Most of us know of discrimination at some point in our family histories.

Personally, as I get older, I am less wary. I am ready to get in someone's face and poke them in the eye with the brim of my BYU hat. I go on the offensive.

This may be the reason I haven't brought anyone into the church since my mission.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote