cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Well, we're off

I'm headed out bright and early tomorrow morning to run support for my wife at the Lake Tahoe marathon. Actually they don't let non-runners anywhere near the closed course, so I'm basically pulling baby duty for half a day saturday. With any luck, a buddy and I will ride around the lake on friday afternoon.

Temp for saturday is projected to be a low of 28, high of 56, 20% chance of rain.

A couple of my buddies were there last weekend for a bike race and had the course closed after 30 miles due to 2 inches of snow on the roads. Here's to hoping the weather is better this weekend.

It's her first marathon, so wish her luck (not that she'll need it or anything).
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

She was telling me that there's quite a bit of climb in this one too. Something about more than 1,000 feet in a span of a few miles? Sounds like a brutal first marathon, but if anyone can pull it off, she can.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I'm headed out bright and early tomorrow morning to run support for my wife at the Lake Tahoe marathon. Actually they don't let non-runners anywhere near the closed course, so I'm basically pulling baby duty for half a day saturday. With any luck, a buddy and I will ride around the lake on friday afternoon.

Temp for saturday is projected to be a low of 28, high of 56, 20% chance of rain.

A couple of my buddies were there last weekend for a bike race and had the course closed after 30 miles due to 2 inches of snow on the roads. Here's to hoping the weather is better this weekend.

It's her first marathon, so wish her luck (not that she'll need it or anything).
Good luck to her.

I was going to do the Xterra tri that is scheduled for this weekend up there, but I decided I was done for the season. I am so glad I decided that. Temp at race start (9:00) is supposed to be only 35 degrees and the water temp in 58.

Man I would never get warm.

Those aren't great running conditions either.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

The Lake Tahoe marathon went well. They make a whole week out of it, with everything from ultramarathons to 100 yard dash for the kids. Some of the big events are the triple marathon (three marathons, three days) and a 72 mile run around the lake.

When we woke up Saturday morning we were greeted with about an inch of snow on the ground. Temperature was about 25 degrees, but warmed up to about 60 degrees by mid afternoon.

My wife said the altitude (starts at 6,200', highest point 6,850') was not a big deal, even though we live and train at about 500' elevation. The thing that made the run difficult was the hills. The first 13-14 miles were fairly flat. But starting at mile 14 they hit 3 big hills, each between 1 and 2 miles. And steep. We drove the course next day and I was amazed they ran up those things. Actually, she said nearly everybody walked up them, so this was not a personal-best type course.

The scenery was outstanding. The weather was gorgeous. my wife was very pleased to have finished and felt fairly well at the end. Her knees were hammered from all of the hills, and the quads were pretty sore the next day, but feels much better today. She said she is done for about a year, with her next marathon probably being St. George or Logan next fall.

My next one will be the week after never.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote