cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney
Default New 5k challenge

So steel has set up a new 5 k challenge.

While I am still working on getting my nike+ configured to be a bit more accurate, I have a few questions about how it records my 5k time.

In order to get a 5k time recorded to I have to select that distance from the menu or can I just go out for normal run of say 4 miles and have it record what my fastest 5k was during that run.

It seems like the fastest mile is saved as the fastest time from a whole mile marker to the next, but I am not sure about that either. I'd be interested if say I ran 2 miles; went out really easy for the first 1/2 mile then pushed it for 1 mile and then backed off for the last 1/2 mile. Would that mile from .5 - 1.5 count towards my fastest?

Also a 10 k challenge would be fun and make me run longer and harder, as well as a fastest mile challenge. I was talking to an old guy in my ward who said back in the day he ran a 4:25 mile. wow. My fastest ever is 5:36 (did it this year) and that is the only time I have ever gone under 6 minutes in my life. I think it would be so cool to once in my life run one under 5 minutes, but I don't think I am willing to put forth the effort and suffer enough to get that fast.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
In order to get a 5k time recorded to I have to select that distance from the menu or can I just go out for normal run of say 4 miles and have it record what my fastest 5k was during that run.
I will try this tonight and see if it works. I'll let you know.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post

It doesn't matter if you chose the 5K workout, but it just looks at the first 5K of your run, regardless of length. After my first half marathon, I was invited to another 5K challenge and on my first run after the half as well as after joining the challenge was a 10K where I took the first part easy and ran the first 5K at around 32:00 or so, then after realizing I was feeling great and could push a little bit more, I ran the second half in around 29:00 or so. Once it sync'd up with the website, I checked the challenge and it had me at 32 minutes.

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I was hoping it was like this (fastest 5K over the course of a whole run), but for the challenges it only takes the first 5K of a run. So if you want a warm up before posting a time you have to quit the workout, start a new one, and then go for it. After you are done with your distance, it will keep counting your mileage, but it won't necessarily go toward your fastest time.

Is the new challenge already set up? If so, can somone send me an invite? User ID is bluegoose1.

I would love to do both a 1 mile challenge and 10K challenge. I probably wouldn't be very competitive in either but it would good for me. Last night I decided to up my pace a bit and did a 7:20 mile, but I think I could go a bit faster with some work. I ran a 5:08 in high school, but haven't come even remotely close since then.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I was hoping it was like this (fastest 5K over the course of a whole run), but for the challenges it only takes the first 5K of a run. So if you want a warm up before posting a time you have to quit the workout, start a new one, and then go for it. After you are done with your distance, it will keep counting your mileage, but it won't necessarily go toward your fastest time.

Is the new challenge already set up? If so, can somone send me an invite? User ID is bluegoose1.

I would love to do both a 1 mile challenge and 10K challenge. I probably wouldn't be very competitive in either but it would good for me. Last night I decided to up my pace a bit and did a 7:20 mile, but I think I could go a bit faster with some work. I ran a 5:08 in high school, but haven't come even remotely close since then.
I sent you an invite and tried to send one to all participants from last time. If any of you did not receive your invite let me know, as I probably typed your name incorrectly (there was no re-invite all participants option). Come to think of it goose, I think I left the 1 off of your name. I'll resend.

Edit: I did leave off the 1, but the funny thing is that someone named bluegoose accepted my invite. I thought you owned that name but forgot the password. Question for the group, if the bluegoose I've accidentally invited is fast should I boot him/her?

Last edited by SteelBlue; 09-13-2007 at 10:51 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I was on the track for the first time and boy am I slow.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Piney just turned in a 20:58 on the nikeplus site. Holy Mackeral! What does that work out to be? 6:30ish per mile? I'll be lucky to be able to turn in one of those by the New Year, let alone 3.1.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:57 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Piney just turned in a 20:58 on the nikeplus site. Holy Mackeral! What does that work out to be? 6:30ish per mile? I'll be lucky to be able to turn in one of those by the New Year, let alone 3.1.
I want to represent Piney, as he has great abilities. He has laid down the gauntlet, even though he knows I'm injured.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Crap, there goes any hope at that trophy. I need to do a fast run and get that 29 off of my name. I haven't done anything but slow 4-5 milers the past few weeks.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote