cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 04:19 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Is there anyone who thinks Gonzales should stay in office?

Anyone?

How many times will he lie to the Congress in this debacle? This all would have blown over months ago if he had have simply been honest initially. Now it is a mess that is paralyzing the entire DOJ.

Gonzales testified that he had not spoken with any potential witnesses in order to preserve the integrity of the proceedings. Then Monica Goodling tells the Congress that Gonzales spoke with her and walked her through the AG's recollection of events in an attempt to "help her refresh her memory." Whaaa? So either Gonzales lied about not speaking with witnesses AND potentially attempted to pressure a witness, or Monica lied (together with McNulty, Sampson, and others).

This is a circus. Get the ringmaster out of there.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
This is a circus. Get the ringmaster out of there.
And while we're at it, let's fire the Chief Clown too: Pat Leahy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
And while we're at it, let's fire the Chief Clown too: Pat Leahy.
He's elected. Gonzales is appointed.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Tex

Quote:
He's elected. Gonzales is appointed.
It was an expression.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-25-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Cali Coug

Quote:
It was an expression.
Yes or no: Gonzales should remain in office.

If yes, why?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Yes or no: Gonzales should remain in office.

If yes, why?
I really don't have an opinion. He seems to have mismanaged the situation, but in politics, with a hostile press and a hostile "oversight" committee in charge, all is not always what it seems. Is what he did a fireable offense? I'm not persuaded that it is.

The second question is: is he worth the political capital spent? Here I'm not persuaded that it is, either. However, it's ultimately Bush's call, and since he's 3-1 in national elections, I'll defer to his judgment. As I've said before, there's something to be said for not throwing your men to the dogs every time they bark. If Bush fired every person who the Dems called "incompetent" or "a liar" the White House would be an empty place indeed.

Lastly, we all know this isn't about Gonzales. He's just the whipping boy for the great white whale: Karl Rove. Pat Leahy is as much an Ahab as anyone in Washington.

And doubly lastly, the public doesn't care about this anymore, anyway. He's off the front page, and I doubt we'll see him back there. Except for Cali Coug, who has something of a Gonzales obsession, it's a dying story.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #7
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I really don't have an opinion. He seems to have mismanaged the situation, but in politics, with a hostile press and a hostile "oversight" committee in charge, all is not always what it seems. Is what he did a fireable offense? I'm not persuaded that it is.

The second question is: is he worth the political capital spent? Here I'm not persuaded that it is, either. However, it's ultimately Bush's call, and since he's 3-1 in national elections, I'll defer to his judgment. As I've said before, there's something to be said for not throwing your men to the dogs every time they bark. If Bush fired every person who the Dems called "incompetent" or "a liar" the White House would be an empty place indeed.

Lastly, we all know this isn't about Gonzales. He's just the whipping boy for the great white whale: Karl Rove. Pat Leahy is as much an Ahab as anyone in Washington.

And doubly lastly, the public doesn't care about this anymore, anyway. He's off the front page, and I doubt we'll see him back there. Except for Cali Coug, who has something of a Gonzales obsession, it's a dying story.

Has there ever been a more boring "scandal" than this one?
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:

I actually would agree, if not for the fact that Gonzales has said things to the Congress on multiple occasions now that were blatantly false. There is a substantial difference between hiding the truth and lying, and Gonzales appears to have crossed into lying on multiple occasions.

After over a month of hearings, we still haven't heard who decided to fire the attorneys. Sampson says his boss was lying. Gonzales blamed McNulty in a press conference and said McNulty was totally responsible (though Gonzales had previously testified to Congress that his regret in this process was NOT involving McNulty). Goodling appears to be an idiot and she doesn't remember what happened (but she does remember Gonzales telling her what happened in an attempt to "comfort her").

Then we have the great story of Gonzales going to Ashcroft's hospital room to get him to sign off on something that the AG had rejected as illegal (unrelated to this scandal but disappointing and possibly illegal).

So:

1. Gonzales appears to be lying to the Congress; and
2. The entire DOJ appears to be incompetent and paralyzed at the moment (which reflects very poorly on the head of the DOJ).
Old 05-25-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

That might be the most chicken-shit answer I've ever heard to a direct question. You're like Mortimer Freaking Snerd, and the GOP is the one with its hand up your ass. Is it so hard for you to just say that the guy screwed up? That he's a bad guy? That George Bush made a mistake when appointing him?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #10
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
That might be the most chicken-shit answer I've ever heard to a direct question. You're like Mortimer Freaking Snerd, and the GOP is the one with its hand up your ass. Is it so hard for you to just say that the guy screwed up? That he's a bad guy? That George Bush made a mistake when appointing him?
Now now, we're trying to be more civil here, remember? Vulgarity and personal attacks are unnecessary.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote