cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #1
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Americans are going to get what they voted for

http://money.newsmax.com/streettalk/...mo_code=70C9-1

More government? That's the solution!

Ohbama may go down as the worst president......and he isn't even the president yet. Yeah, I know, I'm racist because I think his policies are screwed up.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 PM   #2
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

“the pendulum will swing — and should swing — toward an enhanced role for government in saving the market system from its excesses and inadequacies.”

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why this is such a noxious statement.

Laissez Faire has had its day & look where we are. Even Greenspan was stunned at how poorly self interested parties policed themselves.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
“the pendulum will swing — and should swing — toward an enhanced role for government in saving the market system from its excesses and inadequacies.”

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why this is such a noxious statement.

Laissez Faire has had its day & look where we are. Even Greenspan was stunned at how poorly self interested parties policed themselves.
Government is friend to big business and strangling the life out of all others. Regulation helps the bad big businesses stay in business, while stifling innovation and development.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #4
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Government is friend to big business and strangling the life out of all others. Regulation helps the bad big businesses stay in business, while stifling innovation and development.
No, regulation keeps the fannies and freddies and enrons of the world from taking us to hell in a handbasket.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
No, regulation keeps the fannies and freddies and enrons of the world from taking us to hell in a handbasket.
That's the sales pitch made to us by advocates of big government. "Hey, look, we're good at looking for your interests."

The theory sounds nice if only it worked that way. And there's a price to pay for everything. Regulations cost money, and lots of it to comply with. So I suppose in theory, they may slow down some of the charlatans. But heavy regulation also becomes increasingly costly creating undue barriers to entry. These are to what I object.

For example, in Nevada, but not in all gaming locations, the Nevada Gaming Control Board, charges its employee rate to investigate anybody seeking a unlimited gaming license as a participate. Typical costs run from $50,000 to $100,000 for the cost of the investigation. It weeds out the poor people. So big government regulation is usually anti-competitive and anti-start ups.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post

I'm a bit disappointed in myself for admitting this, but I am starting to believe that the gov't has to have a role in the market. Some of those at the top simply can't be trusted to do what's right, they've proven it over and over.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
I'm a bit disappointed in myself for admitting this, but I am starting to believe that the gov't has to have a role in the market. Some of those at the top simply can't be trusted to do what's right, they've proven it over and over.
exactly. Moderation in all things.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 AM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's funny that exUte pretends he's been against the bailout all along.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #9
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
But the government can be trusted? The whole problem here we are starting to run low on good people that take stands. Free societies depend on this over any other thing. Without it, you have to rely on government to regulate your problems. That will last about as long as it takes to find a loophole, then the greed will continue, then more regulations, then more loopholes and greed.

By the way, I might be part of the problem. I need to internalize what I do a little more....yep, I am part of the problem.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:17 AM   #10
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
But the government can be trusted?
Hence the reason I said I'm disappointed in myself for saying that.

I don't know the answer. Everything that I believe in says that gov't should get out of the way of the market. The problem is that when oversight is withdrawn, a bunch of greedy bastards run companies that employ hundreds of thousands of people into the ground.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote