cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I thought it was funny - made me smile . . . .

Those who were really involved in the effort in CA (and I have a hunch very few posting here were) loved the graphic. It just made us laugh because it captured the way we felt.

It was done by a volunteer in Orange County and caught on quickly.

Last edited by LA Ute; 11-12-2008 at 04:41 AM. Reason: typo
LA Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:10 AM   #12
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
Those who were really involved in the effort in CA (and I have a hunch very few posting here were) loved the graphic. It just made us laugh because it captured the way we felt.

It was done by a volunteen in Orange County and caught on quickly.
Disregarding all of our personal feelings on Prop 8, I think that one of the impacts seems to be that many church members came together for a cause, worked very hard to accomplish something that most thought was improbable, and faced a lot of opposition. All these things will tend to bring people together and strengthen the bonds between them. This may prove to be one of the strongest long-term impacts of the effort. SU feels there will be others, of a negative nature, and he may be right for all I know. You could make the argument that, even if Prop 8 is overturned in the courts and never has an impact legally, it has had a great impact on the California members.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

But of course you guys are alright with a lot of things the people for No. on Prop 8 have done and said.......right?
Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post

I think that's exUte at the top of the wall, supporting prop 8 from SLC. BTW, I've never noticed the nice handrails on the stairs in this painting.
Thank you for the compliment. But I'm just a bit younger......but I do approve of the message. And it won in CA, AZ and FL. Good does prevail some of the time.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #15
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
But of course you guys are alright with a lot of things the people for No. on Prop 8 have done and said.......right?
If you're referring to the protests then I doubt there are many here who approve. I don't think the protesters are representative of the no on 8 movement as a whole anyway. I've had 2 lesbian co-workers tell me they were embarrassed to think I might associate them with that behavior.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #16
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If you're referring to the protests then I doubt there are many here who approve. I don't think the protesters are representative of the no on 8 movement as a whole anyway. I've had 2 lesbian co-workers tell me they were embarrassed to think I might associate them with that behavior.
Exactly.

I suppose some folks like to point to such behavior as some sort of vindication; i.e., hard evidence that Satan is on the other team. That is neither fair nor accurate.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1382472.html

Quote:
Same-sex marriage advocates say they have called for a peaceful and civil campaign.

"The No on Prop. 8 campaign denounces any sort of vandalism whatsoever," said Bill Bradley, a campaign spokesman. "It's wrong to deface property and does not reflect the spirit or values of this campaign."

Andrea Shorter, a campaign spokeswoman, added, "That is not going to get us any closer to marriage equality.

"We understand that people are upset and angry and frustrated, but we call upon everyone to express their frustration through the correct processes."
Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 AM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
hard evidence that Satan is on the other team.
you mean he's not?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 AM   #18
RockyBalboa

Quote:
I certainly haven't seen any of the No on Prop 8'ers condemning them like they have the Pro Prop 8'ers.

Still waiting too....

And no I don't have a problem with people protesting...it's their right to peaceably assemble...and that's not what I'm talking about.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-10-2008 at 01:53 AM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #19
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Exactly.

I suppose some folks like to point to such behavior as some sort of vindication; i.e., hard evidence that Satan is on the other team. That is neither fair nor accurate.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1382472.html
You're alright with the nastiness from the other side I suppose because the church "brought it on themselves" right? or are you going to condemn the "bigots" from the other side as well?

This is ANOTHER chance for you to show your consistency......
Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
You're alright with the nastiness from the other side I suppose because the church "brought it on themselves" right? or are you going to condemn the "bigots" from the other side as well?

This is ANOTHER chance for you to show your consistency......
No, that's not what I am saying.

This is ANOTHER chance for you to show your cluelessness.....