cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 02:05 AM   #141
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

This goes way beyond challenging the authority of a mere bishop.
He ain't my bishop, I'll say anything I want.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:23 PM   #142
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I've decided instead of knee-jerk bellyaching about the misguided, uncultured, insensitive, borderline racist Bishop and his unrighteous dominion, I'm going to make a constructive suggestion about how to deal with this situation and perhaps prevent this type of event from happening again:

1. The choir director makes an appointment to see the bishop. During that meeting, the choir director can get guidance from the bishop about what is and isn't acceptable choir music for Sacrament Meeting.

2. The choir director can get the bishop to give his yea or nay ahead of time on whatever songs they were hoping to perform in the future. That way, they don't invest time, energy and soul into a song that eventually gets shot down; creating hurt feelings and adversarial confrontations.

3. During the meeting, the choir director can have the opportunity in a non-confrontational manner to express their views on spiritual music and why the given "non-traditional" selections in their view are appropriate musical fare for Sacrament Meeting. An open exchange of opinions can lead to a respectful and mutual understanding of each other's positions.

4. If there are songs that the choir would like to perform, but the bishop won't allow them to be performed in Sacrament Meeting, the choir director could request the bishop to allow them to perform these songs at a Fireside or some other ward-sponsored activity where the musical guidelines aren't as stringent. That would allow the members of the ward, bishop included, to hear a broader range of spiritual music, gain a deeper appreciation for them and perhaps break down barriers in the future that will allow these to be performed in Sacrament Meeting.

That's certainly a helluva lot more productive than leaving the church in protest or hurling epithets at the bishop.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM   #143
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I've decided instead of knee-jerk bellyaching about the misguided, uncultured, insensitive, borderline racist Bishop and his unrighteous dominion, I'm going to make a constructive suggestion about how to deal with this situation and perhaps prevent this type of event from happening again:

1. The choir director makes an appointment to see the bishop. During that meeting, the choir director can get guidance from the bishop about what is and isn't acceptable choir music for Sacrament Meeting.

2. The choir director can get the bishop to give his yea or nay ahead of time on whatever songs they were hoping to perform in the future. That way, they don't invest time, energy and soul into a song that eventually gets shot down; creating hurt feelings and adversarial confrontations.

3. During the meeting, the choir director can have the opportunity in a non-confrontational manner to express their views on spiritual music and why the given "non-traditional" selections in their view are appropriate musical fare for Sacrament Meeting. An open exchange of opinions can lead to a respectful and mutual understanding of each other's positions.

4. If there are songs that the choir would like to perform, but the bishop won't allow them to be performed in Sacrament Meeting, the choir director could request the bishop to allow them to perform these songs at a Fireside or some other ward-sponsored activity where the musical guidelines aren't as stringent. That would allow the members of the ward, bishop included, to hear a broader range of spiritual music, gain a deeper appreciation for them and perhaps break down barriers in the future that will allow these to be performed in Sacrament Meeting.

That's certainly a helluva lot more productive than leaving the church in protest or hurling epithets at the bishop.
Bravo, Indy.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #144
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

That approach could also work, and that is why a discussion of approaches is useful.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 PM   #145
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Bravo, Indy.
Lebowski?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:50 PM   #146
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lebowski?
What?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #147
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
What?
He wants you to join in the Indy/Tex circle jerk.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #148
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Um..... I think I'll pass on that.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:09 AM   #149
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
You guys are already stroking each other enough as it is.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 AM   #150
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You guys are already stroking each other enough as it is.
Link?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote