cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Why would you bother to waste your time with them?
This is a very ironic question.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 AM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I was also struck by how much all of this must have cost. The letter mentions that much of this paid for by a donation from a single individual.

AaronShaf must have hit the lottery.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #13
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Found it on our doorknob today! It was all made out to look like it was release by the church, made in Utah (Toolea). Another one of those well meaning, ignorant neighbors who want to tell me what I believe. I wonder how biodegradable those are... I guess we will find out!
Zulu451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

There was an interfaith celebration of the Christs ressurrection at the Lehi East stake center tonight, i was told people were handing these videos out there.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
This is a very ironic question.
Waste time with intellectual questions and the pursuit of knowledge of truth, as opposed to reviewing a nonscholarly distribution of materials designed to attract followers to another religious tradition. You fail to see to distinction?

My intellectual observations are in the interests of truth and knowledge. I don't hold our leaders to be the sole or primary repositories of knowledge. Far from it. They are one source. However, rabble rousers who come from an even more simplistic tradition with little scholastic input are of no value to me. I don't see any value in even more simplistic fundamental reductionists. If it gives value to their lives, then more power to them, but if it is simply designed to detract from others then may hailstorms rain down upon them.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

honestly, if any Mormon watches that and their faith is shaken, they really must not understand the basics of mormon doctrine to begin with.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Waste time with intellectual questions and the pursuit of knowledge of truth, as opposed to reviewing a nonscholarly distribution of materials designed to attract followers to another religious tradition. You fail to see to distinction?

My intellectual observations are in the interests of truth and knowledge. I don't hold our leaders to be the sole or primary repositories of knowledge. Far from it. They are one source. However, rabble rousers who come from an even more simplistic tradition with little scholastic input are of no value to me. I don't see any value in even more simplistic fundamental reductionists. If it gives value to their lives, then more power to them, but if it is simply designed to detract from others then may hailstorms rain down upon them.
I know, I know, you do it all under the guise of seeking further light and knowledge and seeing the hows and whys of what makes apostates tick.

Right.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
I know, I know, you do it all under the guise of seeking further light and knowledge and seeing the hows and whys of what makes apostates tick.

Right.
Okay Mr. Cynical. Here's a challenge for you. Try to catch the seek knowledge bug and come back when seeking knowledge is of interest to you. You won't condemn knowledge for the pure sake of knowledge once you do. I've once had the chance to read where you appear to be seeking knowledge. Some people are fine shutting down their minds after high school or college. College just opened mine to the limitless possibilities. If you're aware of LDS script, there is quite of bit of doctrine advocating LDS to seek out of the best books and to continue to thirst after truth and knowledge. If it were not so, BYU should just have trade schools ignoring all classes that might appear "intellectual."

And as to your one barb, please identify one aspect of anomolous monism that appeals to apostates.

If your response is merely, "yeah right", then I'd ask why so uncivil.

Is it your position that any question which requires studying, searching and meditation a question not worth asking?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:38 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Okay Mr. Cynical. Here's a challenge for you. Try to catch the seek knowledge bug and come back when seeking knowledge is of interest to you. You won't condemn knowledge for the pure sake of knowledge once you do. I've once had the chance to read where you appear to be seeking knowledge. Some people are fine shutting down their minds after high school or college. College just opened mine to the limitless possibilities. If you're aware of LDS script, there is quite of bit of doctrine advocating LDS to seek out of the best books and to continue to thirst after truth and knowledge. If it were not so, BYU should just have trade schools ignoring all classes that might appear "intellectual."

And as to your one barb, please identify one aspect of anomolous monism that appeals to apostates.

If your response is merely, "yeah right", then I'd ask why so uncivil.

Is it your position that any question which requires studying, searching and meditation a question not worth asking?
I hardly call consorting with apostates who have a transparent agenda seeking further light and knowledge. I will take spiritual relevation and HONEST studying of truth for a righteous cause of enhancing knowledge and wisdom every single day and time over a arrogant defiance of seeking to tear down one's convictions.

You calling ANYONE cynical is akin to Mrs. Clinton accusing someone of being dishonest. Keep believing your own shit doesn't stink I guess.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:55 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
I hardly call consorting with apostates who have a transparent agenda seeking further light and knowledge. I will take spiritual relevation and HONEST studying of truth for a righteous cause of enhancing knowledge and wisdom every single day and time over a arrogant defiance of seeking to tear down one's convictions.

You calling ANYONE cynical is akin to Mrs. Clinton accusing someone of being dishonest. Keep believing your own shit doesn't stink I guess.
In what aspect do you seek knowledge? You haven't cited one example.

I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but my interests are diverse and extend across many subjects, most of them have nothing to do with apostasy.

In my interests involving fitness, what aspects of that involve apostasy?

In my linguistic interests, what aspects involve apostasy?

In my interests to understand the Bible, how is that necessarily involve apostasy?

In my interests on math, same question?

In literature, same question?

In travel, same question?

In psychology, philosophy, medicine, law and nature, same question?

Just because a person has interests doesn't make one an apostate. Most of the thematic discussions occurring in Church, I can do in my sleep, so I and others have other interests. If they don't interest you, that's fine. But it is completely illogical for you to associate intellectual curiosity with apostasy. If so, Nibley, B.H. Roberts and Joseph Smith would be deemed apostates.