cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #151
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i will concede that it is a slightly mixed bag, but i believe that most gay people are born gay, just like most heterosexuals are born that way. however, there are some gay people who "act" heterosexual for whatever reason, and there are some heterosexual people who act gay for whatever reason. it's a mixed bag, but, in my opinion, these exceptions are rare.
I have never known a gay individual that I would consider to have been born gay or at least that they expressed to me that they were born gay. Hence my position that being gay is a choice. I don't doubt that there are many individuals out there conflicted with same sex attraction and are facing an internal struggle to suppress their feelings that contradict what they have been taught in Church all their lives. It is a complex issue. I have stated my position and I sympathize with those struggling with this issue.

We will not reach an agreement in this forum.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:26 PM   #152
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Vivan las flautas!

We call them taquitos out West, but I agree....yum! Tex is delicious!
I'm sure you would make an excellent flautist.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #153
Tex

I've been called out in another thread because I apparently got "worked over" while "dodging" and "non-responding" in this one. Heh. So I guess I'll repeat myself again for the benefit of those with short attention spans:

There are some good arguments for saying people are gay by birth. They aren't conclusive, but they can be persuasive.

"Why would anyone choose being gay?" is not one of them. It presupposes that every person makes the exact same value judgment of homosexuality as the one asking the question. Ironically, it's a self-defeating argument for a pro-gay person to make, because it presupposes that being gay is a terrible thing that no one would want. And yet we know there are many who do want, like, and enjoy being gay. Who would choose to be gay? Ask your nearest happy gay person.

"Why would anyone choose being gay?" also turns a blind eye to millions of people who make illogical decisions all the time, about a variety of things. I listed a few of them earlier, and got lambasted for "equating" being gay to those things. Homosexuality is no more "equal" to depression than anger "equals" depression. I don't even know what metric one would use to measure such a thing.

But I do know that they share a common trait: they don't always make sense. One could just as easily ask, "Why would anyone choose to be depressed?" And yet, there are people who do. Is it a perfect, exact analogy? No, of course not. In many other important ways, depression is different from homosexuality. But that doesn't mean there are no similarities at all.

If you are a someone who believes gay is innate, fine. There are some compelling reasons to adopt this view. This isn't one of them.

PS. This was really just meant as a joke. A lame one, perhaps, but a joke nonetheless. Ha ... ha ... ha.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 11-07-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:51 PM   #154
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I didnt even get it, frankly.

Like I said, wit isnt your forte.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #155
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I didnt even get it, frankly.
The similarity between flaunt, flout, flauta, and flautist is tough to get, I know.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #156
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The similarity between flaunt, flout, flauta, and flautist is tough to get, I know.
well, at its most base, I did understand what the picture was depicting.

I just didnt get why you thought it was funny.

What's next, a picture of a florist?

Tax and humor. Two things we have now identified that are not your strong points.

You seem to recognize your humor weakness, though, which is a good start.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote