cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Divine Institution of Marriage

The church lays out the case.

http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsr...on-of-marriage
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Wow.

Last edited by Solon; 08-14-2008 at 05:53 AM. Reason: PS
Solon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:51 AM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

It was an interesting read, but I was hoping to read something new. It was the same stuff.

The overall layout was thus:

1. Religious argument
2. Blame gays for the bad acts of heterosexuals (divorce, abortion, single-parent households)
3. Re-emphasize religious argument
4. Predict calamity
5. Re-emphasize religious argument

Another question I have that I have yet to hear answered well......if homosexual marriage will increase the likelihood of gender confusion in children/teens, how do we explain the fact that pretty much all homosexuals today were raised in heterosexual households? I don't really see any distinct advantage in that particular area.

The repeated emphasis that children be raised by a father and mother is pointless. Gays are adopting the unwanted children that heterosexuals have basically tossed aside. Gays aren't having their own children. They are raising the children that straight people threw away.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 05:55 AM   #4
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

You're missing the point: if we allow gay marriage, then the terrorists win.

Seriously, though. Your questions are apt. That's pretty good for a quick read late at night.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
You're missing the point: if we allow gay marriage, then the terrorists win.

Seriously, though. Your questions are apt. That's pretty good for a quick read late at night.
Tomorrow when everyone is rested, we can go over the misleading reference to Catholic Charities....an entirely different issue given that Catholic Charities USA receives significant funding from the state to run this adoption arm of its eleemosynary institutions. If you want state bucks, you need to comply. The Catholic Church simply didn't want to do it on its own dime, so it shut down shop. LDSSS does not use state or federal money, at least not to my knowledge.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
It was an interesting read, but I was hoping to read something new. It was the same stuff.

1. Religious argument
2. Blame gays for the bad acts of heterosexuals (divorce, abortion, single-parent households)
4. Predict calamity

Another question I have that I have yet to hear answered well......if homosexual marriage will increase the likelihood of gender confusion in children/teens, how do we explain the fact that pretty much all homosexuals today were raised in heterosexual households? I don't really see any distinct advantage in that particular area.

The repeated emphasis that children be raised by a father and mother is pointless. Gays are adopting the unwanted children that heterosexuals have basically tossed aside. Gays aren't having their own children. They are raising the children that straight people threw away.
This may be your best post ever.

I read this,

"The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility towards homosexual men and women. Protecting marriage between a man and a woman does not affect Church members’ Christian obligations of love, kindness and humanity toward all people,"

and couldn't help being reminded of this:

"I would be willing to let every Negro drive a Cadillac if they could afford it."--MEP

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The religious argument of course dodges the central question--the elephant in the room--do you choose your sexual preference?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #8
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The religious argument of course dodges the central question--the elephant in the room--do you choose your sexual preference?
Yes, I think we deserve to have this addressed.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Gays are adopting kids that hetero's don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

1. Religious argument
4. Predict calamity

want? That's a new one. Using your term, hetero's ARE (and want more kids to adopt) adopting kids hetero's don't want.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #10
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Jury is still out on that one. Both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Yes, I think we deserve to have this addressed.
can make a case. However, the natural 'man' is born to have sex. Does that mean John Edwards should be excused for his adultery because he was born that way?