cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 04:08 AM   #141
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I don't agree. I think the desire for students to be close to campus and the willingness to pay $100 extra a month to be within walking distance of campus compared to being a mile from campus is what creates that shortage.
Well, you certainly have more knowledge in this area than I do. My theory makes sense to me, but I'll be the first to admit that this isn't my field of expertise.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:12 AM   #142
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Well, you certainly have more knowledge in this area than I do. My theory makes sense to me, but I'll be the first to admit that this isn't my field of expertise.
I might be willing to acknowledge the BYU approval issue does create an additional element to the supply demand equilibrium that can go against students. But the anecdotes from Funk and other stuff I've heard on occasion condemning BYU for the problem don't ring with me. I think you'd find similar situations anywhere real estate is scarce, such as the three blocks surrounding about any campus in America.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #143
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
One of my apartments would consistently schedule cleaning checks around midterms and finals. This made it not worth doing the cleaning check and just taking the fee. We were then charged a cleaning fee, this cleaning was never actually done. I think it generally was an additional $25 a month we were paying for cleaning that wasn't done.

In one of my apartment's we never once used the oven, not even for a frozen pizza. No one in the apartment cooked. The month before we left we were charged for oven cleaning. When we moved out we were charged for the oven not being clean, despite the fact it was not once used since the cleaning was done.

We had a mouse die in the pipes that led to the dishwasher, and it was an area we couldn't get to unless we kind tore things out. Every time we ran the dishwasher the place would stink. We informed the landlord multiple times about this problem and he refused to do anything. Also the heater when turned on would put out a stench and a little black smoke, so we couldn't use the heater (not that we really needed it often). We also informed the landlord about this and nothing was done about. We didn't have any of this fixed until we decided to withhold our rent. We finally got it fixed, but we were still charged late fees for our rent for that month.

There was a problem in the complex that caused all the ground floor apartments to have the toilets back up. Luckily it didn't involve any sewage. The apartment's solution to this was to come in take out the carpet and leave the floor bare for the last month we lived there.

So between non-existent cleaning fees, ridiculously high rent because of BYU's policy, and all the shit I put up with. Yes I would say that we were getting screwed by the policy, and I consider the money it cost me in increased rent prices to be at least $2,000 (and that is a conservative estimate).
Did you live in Park Plaza?
Old 04-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #144
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Did you live in Park Plaza?
I did April 1990 - August 1990
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #145
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I did April 1990 - August 1990
Me too...back in 2000. Man, that place was a dive...same kind of crap though...charged an arm and a leg for an apartment that literally could not be completly clean.