cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As of 12:01 am this morning my union is on strike

I am beyond angry ... talks broke down last night after management gave into all of the unions demands, only to have the union demand one more thing in the last month.

For more than a year now the union has repeatadly told us the isssue was money -management gave them the money ... then for the past 6 months we were told it was about work load -management conceded on the issue of workload ... then in the last month, after receiving a strike mandate from it's members, the union demanded more teachers be hired -unbleep'n believable!

So my union goes on strike and holds the students hostage -we are just past mid-term and thounsands of students across Ontario don't know whether they will have the opportunity to finish this semester and qualify for graduation.

I would cross the picket line, but it is illegal to do so -both I and the School would incure massive fines -unbelievable ......
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you expect? they are commie canadians....
Old 03-07-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear this tooblue.

One of the problems with a situation like this is that the union management never seems to learn from any situations like this. If/when things are resolved and you can get back to work, the next time around the outcome will most likely be the same.

Unions suck. They only benefit management. Perhaps you could ask managment what good this strike does the students - after all, isn't that why they got into teaching in the first place?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Why is it now important for them to hire more teachers? I assume only because management would then get a bigger paycheck in the forms of dues?

That reminds me of the NBA wanting to institute the age minimum and receiving opposition from the players' union. That never made sense -- why on earth would veterans want to allow young kids to come in and take their jobs? Who was the older player that finally realized that and went the other way? That stupid line of thinking does not benefit current players, only union management and agents. It's not the job of the union to look out for non-members!
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Alkili

Alkili is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like you need a change in your union leaders.