cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default TV shows cancelled before their time

1. Get a Life: this show was not given nearly the chance it deserved. For my money it is easily one of the 5 best TV shows of all time. I have it on DVD, but it is a transfer from original VHS tapes. This show needs to get released on DVD.
2. Arrested Development: a travesty that this show was only given 2 1/2 seasons. The cancellation of it was almost as bad as the cancellation of Get a Life.
3. Newsradio: such an underrated show, but at least it got 5 seasons. Most people disagree, but the show was really funny in its last season. Losing Phil Hartman hurt but the show was always about the interaction between Jimmy James and Dave Nelson. Some of the best episodes in the shows run were in this season. It took them a few episodes to get going without Phil, but once they got going it was great.
4. Ben Stiller Show: it may amaze some people but there was a time when Ben Stiller was actually funny. One of the better sketch comedy shows out there.
5. Ned and Stacey: they killed this show when they moved it to Monday nights against Monday Night Football. Very funny show.

In short I hate you Fox. You are responsible for 4 of the 5 of these cancellations. Burn in Hell you bastards.

Last edited by mpfunk; 05-21-2007 at 05:08 PM.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Arrested Development is one of the all time great shows. No question.

Though they canceled themselves both times, the UK Office and Extras are both shows that could have lasted many seasons more but Gervais wanted to pull the plug with fans wanting more rather than pull the plug because the show lost its quality edge. Smart, but sad.

I was a big fan of News Radio, but it did lose a big step after Hartman died. Hartman, Joe Rogan, Maura Tierney, Dave Foley, etc...was a great cast. Those first two seasons were hillarious.

VMars should be on that list. Ned and Stacey was fine, but I didn't lose much sleep over canceling that show. The Ben Still Show was also very good, but too out there for its time.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:41 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
In short I hate you Fox. You are responsible for 4 of the 5 of these cancellations. Burn in Hell you bastards.
Fox also cancelled Firefly, which sci-fi freaks like myself will tell you was one of the more interesting sci-fi shows to come across the air in recent years.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex, be careful, you are letting your guard down by sharing personal information such as this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Tex, be careful, you are letting your guard down by sharing personal information such as this.
I'd heed this warning. Next thing you know a photoshopped picture of you having sex with Bush will show up here on CG.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally forgot about Firefly. That was axed way too early and is a truly fantastic show. Man, I wish they brought that show back to some station, like the SciFi network.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Fox also cancelled Firefly, which sci-fi freaks like myself will tell you was one of the more interesting sci-fi shows to come across the air in recent years.
This is the one that came to mind for me, too.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:21 AM   #8
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
1. Get a Life: this show was not given nearly the chance it deserved. For my money it is easily one of the 5 best TV shows of all time. I have it on DVD, but it is a transfer from original VHS tapes. This show needs to get released on DVD.
I totally forgot about Get a Life until just now. I watched it faithfully and couldn't believe it got pulled.

Unfortunately, I didn't discover Arrested Development until after it was cancelled. We've watched all but the last disc of Season 3. We keep putting off renting it because we just don't want it to end.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #9
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Put my vote in for Norhtern Exposure. To some it is an acquired taste, but it is my favorite show of all time.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote