cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #81
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Here are a few things that scare me about Bush.
1. He tries to minimize the Judicial Branch by calling them "activist judges".
2. He minimizes the press by calling them liberal. Apparently he hasn't watched Fox News lately.
3. He is fighting a war against an idea, not a country. We can't even win the war on drugs, what makes him think we can end terror.
I would add a #4 to that: He's tried to make an end run around the constitution in several key respects. I suppose that your #1 above is part of his means to that end - as I envision our particular system of government, the judicial branch is supposed to act as a check on his particular brand of tyranny; he's attempted to render them impotent.

Quote:
I know this sounds cold, but September 11th was not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. 500,000 american people die each year of cancer. 180,000 of which are caused by tobacco. Why aren't we killing and torturing tobacco farmers and cigarette companies.
I've always thought this, especially as it relates to the relatives of the Ground Zero deceased. Many people lose loved ones in sudden and tragic ways. Get over it. If we allow unfettered emotion to rule our actions, then we are no better, from a standpoint of reasonableness, than the man who screams "Allah Akbar" while setting off his bomb in the midst of a crowd of school kids.

To put the messenger of this in some context, you should know that, not only am I a renounced Republican who is still a staunch conservative, I commute through Ground Zero. I am reminded of what those bastards did every damn day.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #82
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Bluehair, nikuman, may I be so bold as to ask you to present some alternatives? Complaining is easy.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #83
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I could regale you with high rhetoric about the American spirit, but I'll just answer simply:

I'm a natural optimist.
I have faith in the American people.
I think our history ratifies that faith.
History shows that as a republican form of government grows longer, the probability of its descent to authoritarianism approaches one.

Before America there were only two republican predecessors, Greece and Rome. In the 100,000 years people have had brains our size republican government has existed in some form less than 1% of that total time span.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:20 PM   #84
nikuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Bluehair, nikuman, may I be so bold as to ask you to present some alternatives? Complaining is easy.
No, you may not.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 PM   #85
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
History shows that as a republican form of government grows longer, the probability of its descent to authoritarianism approaches one.

Before America there were only two republican predecessors, Greece and Rome. In the 100,000 years people have had brains our size republican government has existed in some form less than 1% of that total time span.
I agree. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. My hope is that we can extend the republican form a little longer by our vigilance. We're probably too far down the road to reverse our path though. Most people have already been convinced that giving up liberty is necessary. When the whole wiretapping thing came out, I was fuming to my dad about it. He made the remark that I shouldn't care if I don't have anything to hide. Scary! I think the only solution is to somehow bring the government branches back to balance. I'm not sure how to accomplish that.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #86
nikuman

Quote:
He made the remark that I shouldn't care if I don't have anything to hide. Scary!
I hear an awful lot of this, and I think it misses the point completely, The origins of this country are rooted in the fact that a significant group of men decided that they were willing to have a major increase in the likelihood of death in exchange for the ability to vote for somebody to tell the government they didn't like a 2 cent tax on tea (more or less). We are now unwilling to accept an infinitely smaller increase in the likelihood of death in exchange for the government staying the hell out of our lives.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #87
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

One more thing. With the technology we have today, privacy rights are unenforceable. There are simply too many ways for the government to spy on you. Privacy was given up long ago. A republic is not possible without individuals having a right to privacy.

Last edited by BlueHair; 06-16-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: spelling
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #88
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

We will have no way of verifying it, but you could very well be correct. I have no way of knowing next year's Super Bowl champions, much less the fate and destiny of America millennia from now.

I will say only this: while progressive for their day, the Greek and Roman cultures were inferior to the American culture. [Warning, high-toned rhetoric to follow]. America is the greatest nation ever to exist in that 100,000 year history, the only nation to ever have the broader liberty of all men as its primary purpose. If there ever was a culture to have the chance to endure indefinitely, America is it.

Quote:
I agree. It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when. My hope is that we can extend the republican form a little longer by our vigilance. We're probably too far down the road to reverse our path though. Most people have already been convinced that giving up liberty is necessary. When the whole wiretapping thing came out, I was fuming to my dad about it. He made the remark that I shouldn't care if I don't have anything to hide. Scary! I think the only solution is to somehow bring the government branches back to balance. I'm not sure how to accomplish that.
I think it's Rush Limbaugh [Leftists can begin frothing at the mouth now] who said that most people's historical perspective begins with the day they were born.

We have been through tougher times as a nation than a few measly wiretaps on calls to suspected foreign terrorists. Get a grip, my friend. The decline of Western civilization is not a forgone conclusion.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 06-17-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #89
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
"It's the economy, stupid." Never was a truer statement made. We have become so fat and lazy that as long as we have good jobs and the S&P 500 keeps going up, most Americans don't give a crap about politics and all of the above. Sad but true.

With a strong economy, authoritarianism would work great in this country today.

Not saying I agree with that, but I think that's where we're at. The Greatest Generations has given way to the most selfish/self-absorbed generation.
Good point. China has become pretty good at following that model.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #90
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
We have infinitely more constitutional mechanisms, safeguards, checks & balances and so forth than 1930 Germany. To assert we're on some slippery slope towards Nazism is ignorant hyperbole at its worst.
What does that really matter when they're ignored? The old Soviet constution "guaranteed" most of the same freedoms that are in our first amendment. I don't think the Bill of Rights would pass today, or certainlly not in the absolutist language it was written in. "Congress shall make no law...," who are we kidding?
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote