cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 PM   #81
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Here's the thing about this 'regular people' stuff: You can't fake it. IMO, either you are or you're not a regular person. Regular people can smell the difference a mile away. No matter how many times obama drops a 'g' from a word ending in 'ing', everybody knows he is not a regular guy. Conversely, if Palin added a 'g' every time she used a word ending in 'ing' everyone would still realte to her as a regular person.

So you can dress up Palin in all sorts of expensive clothes, but she still gives off the regular person vibe (lipstick on a pig still leaves a . . . oh never mind). People might be disgusted that she spent 150k on her clothes, but regular people will now see her as a regular person who spent 150k on her clothes, not as an elite who revealed her elitism.
I think that's mostly true, except that regular people hate wannabes and poseurs. So she's got to convince the public that she's just dressing up like the elite establishment in order to infiltrate them, not because she's always wanted to become the elite establishment but just never had the money to do so.

Quote:
In fact, my guess is that many regular people will have a "you go girl" attitude abotu the news."
That's the one thing she has going for her: For her supporters, any criticism or expose' is simply dismissed as further evidence of the elitist media's conspiracy to suppress a rising star from the conservative middle-class. They almost relish this kind of coverage, because it confirms their suspicions about how the world works.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #82
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I think that's mostly true, except that regular people hate wannabes and poseurs. So she's got to convince the public that she's just dressing up like the elite establishment in order to infiltrate them, not because she's always wanted to become the elite establishment but just never had the money to do so.
"Convince the public"? Quick, off-the-cuff: what percentage of the public do think knows about this little $150K splurge, and of those, what percentage do you think need convincing?

Quote:
That's the one thing she has going for her: For her supporters, any criticism or expose' is simply dismissed as further evidence of the elitist media's conspiracy to suppress a rising star from the conservative middle-class. They almost relish this kind of coverage, because it confirms their suspicions about how the world works.
Which is why it would play to the media's favor to not act like completely naked partisan idiots in their coverage. But they can't resist.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 PM   #83
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
completely naked partisan idiots in their coverage.
I'm guessing if they're naked the coverage leaves something to be desired.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:58 PM   #84
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm guessing if they're naked the coverage leaves something to be desired.
Usually, but not always. AL Roker anyone?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 AM   #85
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Where's Nixon when we need him? One of the more famous political speeches in American history was Nixon's "Checkers Speech," when he responded to the Dems' queries about his being on the take from special interests. Here's a key passage, after going over his net worth and typical expenditures:

Well, that's about it. That's what we have. And that's what we owe. It isn't very much. But Pat and I have the satisfaction that every dime that we've got is honestly ours. I should say this, that Pat doesn't have a mink coat. But she does have a respectable Republican cloth coat, and I always tell her she'd look good in anything.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/spee...ncheckers.html The site has a video of a portion of the speech; it's interesting how speaking styles and production values have changed.

By the way, I was seven weeks old when the speech was given, but I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Interesting. I saw that speech the other day on American Experience. Fascinating story.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #86
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Well, best of luck to you in your business. I can only imagine the pressure. I wish you nothing but success, hermano, for both you and your clients. I am feeling the pinch in the maretplace, but not as directly as you given the nature of your work.
Thanks. I am probably to uptight right now to get into discussions. By the way, thanks for not making a wise crack about my putting a $ figure on how much money I manage. I would have, if someone else had done that.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM   #87
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Thanks. I am probably to uptight right now to get into discussions. By the way, thanks for not making a wise crack about my putting a $ figure on how much money I manage. I would have, if someone else had done that.
I would have made a wise crack but then you would have responded: "hey you young dipshit, it used to be $200 million! So get yer neck back!"

I don't think I could come back with something to tear down the fact that just mere months ago you managed $200 million......
Old 10-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #88
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
It was only $100M, so I barely noticed it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #89
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I find this story interesting.....

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14805.html

Palin spending about $150K on clothes since August, all on the RNC dime....at high brow places like Needless Markup and SFA.

Hardly fits in with her phony Joe Six Pack persona she wants everyone to embrace.

How many hockey moms spend that kind of scratch in a year, let alone 8 weeks?

The truth is, you can't really blame her faulty intellect on her backwoods existence when she is shopping at some of the finest retailers in the country. She can't even be a hick without messing that up, too.
Who cares?

Politicians on both sides spend a lot of resources trying to dupe the voters on issues that shouldn't even matter--such as "i'm a regular joe like you". Only stupid people fall for it. That should exclude most of the folks on this board. At least I would think. This is not a party line thing, this is a politics thing. So why should it be a discussion point between what I would think is a reasonably intelligent group.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #90
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Reported today that Michelle Obama was out sporting a $540 pair of sneakers.

But that's okay, because Michelle never made any airs about being anything other than an elitist. Palin, on the other hand, pretended to be "one of us," that phony...

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...as_lanvin.html

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote