cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #81
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Yep, even at 9. But before they can become confirmed a member of the Church, they should also be taught about the principles of the church and what it means to be a member. Hence, the discussions. For 8 year olds, the church assumes the family and primary has done the teaching (which in most cases it has).
the church requires discussions for all 9 year olds, including those raised in the church.

Note that the sisters in my mission waited for their child to turn 9 so that he could be a convert baptism, and not a baptism of record. So of course, he got the discussions while 8yo, and baptized on his 9th birthday.

it could be argued that the kid was better off for having received those discussions, despite the fact he will always be known on the records of the church as a convert.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:47 PM   #82
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Sure-- she doesn't want to be baptized.

It happens.
Short of that.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM   #83
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Short of that.
Okay-- her parents don't want her to be baptized.

Also happens.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #84
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Okay-- her parents don't want her to be baptized.

Also happens.
Sorry, I should be more clear. I'm talking about your role as Bishop, when a parent brings an 8yo (actually even a 7yo, because maybe they are being baptized immediately after turning 8).

So the parents wouldn't be bringing him for an interview, if no desire to be baptized.

is there anything in that interview with that child that would cause you to say no.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #85
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I've answered this repeatedly throughout the thread: as far as I am concerned, if they nod yes to 1) do you want to be baptized, and 2) do you believe in Jesus, that is more than plenty.

If they say "Who is Jesus?" I will explain for about 5 minutes And then say, "do you believe in him?" He says "yes."

That is more than sufficient.

Could a 5 year old pass my test? Almost certainly. Could Indy's daughter at 4yo have passed this? Yes.

My bar is extremely low. I believe even the mentally retarded child with no known communicative ability could be baptized.

Does this answer your question/

So why do think it is silly to have 8 be the age for baptism?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #86
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
So why do think it is silly to have 8 be the age for baptism?
No. Because it is the custom.

Do I pretend that every kid who is getting baptized has the capability to really be a follower of Jesus? No I don't pretend that, unlike some people here.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #87
All-American

Quote:
the church requires discussions for all 9 year olds, including those raised in the church.

Note that the sisters in my mission waited for their child to turn 9 so that he could be a convert baptism, and not a baptism of record. So of course, he got the discussions while 8yo, and baptized on his 9th birthday.

it could be argued that the kid was better off for having received those discussions, despite the fact he will always be known on the records of the church as a convert.
I remember being 8 years old, and going over to Bishop Ballard's house to be interviewed before I was baptized. He asked me about various commandments. I don't remember all of them, but I do remember specifically being asked about the Word of Wisdom-- since I answered that I "mostly" kept the Word of Wisdom, since our family ate meat somewhat less than sparingly.

I suppose that even at age eight, a candidate for baptism must demonstrate basic understanding of the commandments and principles which he or she is to live. I don't believe this to be any different for one baptized at age nine. For reasons sufficiently treated earlier, the church has the bishop handle all cases of those baptized between the age of 8 and 9, and missionaries for all cases thereafter. But I don't believe that either group is required to show proficiency and familiarity to a greater extent than the other.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #88
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can I break in to ask a quick question? Where does the 8 yr. old requirement come from? Is it doctrine or policy? Cite?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #89
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I would agree with you wholeheartedly if our Church was run simply on those 4 principles, but unfortunately, we are part of a large machine that encompasses all sorts of crazy minutae...white shirts not blue, facial hair is evil, etc.....if only we would simply focus on the basics.
Wasn't aware that it is required to accept these traditions before being baptized.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:55 PM   #90
All-American

Quote:
Sorry, I should be more clear. I'm talking about your role as Bishop, when a parent brings an 8yo (actually even a 7yo, because maybe they are being baptized immediately after turning 8).

So the parents wouldn't be bringing him for an interview, if no desire to be baptized.

is there anything in that interview with that child that would cause you to say no.
I'm not exactly sure what I would do, not being a bishop (in fact, maybe somebody should ask a bishop?), but if it seemed clear to me that the child did not know what was going on or what is entailed with the covenant of baptism, I would ask to meet again with them so I could teach them. Once satisfied that they understood, I would consent, but not before.