cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #81
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Only a moron would look at that decision and say "Yes you can keep a gun, but you can't keep a loaded gun."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:30 PM   #82
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Only a moron would look at that decision and say "Yes you can keep a gun, but you can't keep a loaded gun."
You can keep a gun, but you can only keep it loaded when you're in reasonable danger.

That is pushing the envelope in a major way, yes, and it will probably get struck down, but it's not in direct defiance of the Supreme Court's decision.

I'm waiting for you to actually read the opinion and show me where it is. At the end of the day, all the Supreme Court held is that you can own a handgun in the home. They didn't say you could take it outside; they didn't say you can keep it loaded at all times . . .

You don't understand how constitutional law works. As you like to say, go back to the kiddie pool. It's obviously a bit deep out here for you.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:36 PM   #83
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Levin, per your reading of the ruling, can DC ban ownership of handgun ammunition?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #84
Levin

Quote:
Levin, per your reading of the ruling, can DC ban ownership of handgun ammunition?
No. And the DC law doesn't do that. You can only use the ammunition in limited circumstances.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #85
MikeWaters
Demiurge

until the murder and assault and rape rates are 0 for five years straight in DC, there is a reasonable threat.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #86
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
No. And the DC law doesn't do that. You can only use the ammunition in limited circumstances.
could you please show me the link in the SCOTUS ruling that supports your position. TIA.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #87
Levin

Quote:
until the murder and assault and rape rates are 0 for five years straight in DC, there is a reasonable threat.
I think this is a legitimate argument, and one that the lawyers challenging the law will make, and one that a court will use to strike down the law. But I think the ammunition restriction will fall for a different reason than basing it in self-defense: it neuters the right to own a gun in the first place. What good is a bow without an arrow? While some ammunition restrictions will certainly be upheld (no loaded guns in some public spaces, etc.), one that applies to the home won't be, I don't think.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #88
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I think this is a legitimate argument, and one that the lawyers challenging the law will make, and one that a court will use to strike down the law. But I think the ammunition restriction will fall for a different reason than basing it in self-defense: it neuters the right to own a gun in the first place. What good is a bow without an arrow? While some ammunition restrictions will certainly be upheld (no loaded guns in some public spaces, etc.), one that applies to the home won't be, I don't think.
the 2nd amendment doesn't saying anything about owning a gun. It says "bear arms." You cannot bear arms without ammunition.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:51 PM   #89
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the 2nd amendment doesn't saying anything about owning a gun. It says "bear arms." You cannot bear arms without ammunition.

SUre you can. rifles/shotguns are fine clubs and handguns are awkward brass knuckles.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #90
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You can keep a gun, but you can only keep it loaded when you're in reasonable danger.

That is pushing the envelope in a major way, yes, and it will probably get struck down, but it's not in direct defiance of the Supreme Court's decision.

I'm waiting for you to actually read the opinion and show me where it is. At the end of the day, all the Supreme Court held is that you can own a handgun in the home. They didn't say you could take it outside; they didn't say you can keep it loaded at all times . . .

You don't understand how constitutional law works. As you like to say, go back to the kiddie pool. It's obviously a bit deep out here for you.
Only keep it loaded when you're in reasonable danger?? If that's constitutional law, no wonder people hate lawyers. Reason and common sense have left the building.

So someone breaks into my home, I guess now I'm in reasonable danger? "'Scuse me, Mr. Criminal, can you hold on just a sec while I load my 38? Thanks a bunch!"