cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #81
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
You're now talking about local taxes. I'm talking about federal. Nothing would have to change with how states and cities finance themselves.
Still, the federal government would be incredibly self-interested in shaping policy so that states and locales maximize its sales-tax collection opportunities. The beast will be fed. I can't think of a credible argument that a consumption tax wouldn't drastically exacerbate what is already a huge problem --- commercial sprawl and and municipal competition for retail dollars.

Cities would give away the farm to land the big boxes so that they'd get the promised federal subsidy given to every locale that increases retail square footage . . . or something like that.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #82
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Still, the federal government would be incredibly self-interested in shaping policy so that states and locales maximize its sales-tax collection opportunities. The beast will be fed. I can't think of a credible argument that a consumption tax wouldn't drastically exacerbate what is already a huge problem --- commercial sprawl and and municipal competition for retail dollars.

Cities would give away the farm to land the big boxes so that they'd get the promised federal subsidy given to every locale that increases retail square footage . . . or something like that.
It seems you're going in circles. First you worry that retail spending will drop and now you're worrying that it will increase too much and result in urban sprawl.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #83
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
It seems you're going in circles. First you worry that retail spending will drop and now you're worrying that it will increase too much and result in urban sprawl.
Two different forces at work.

Consumers --- more likely to save b/c great opportunity to increase income by consuming less.

The Federal Government --- the beast must be fed and so it will create policy so that locales compete for and subsidize commercial development.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #84
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If the paper cites an opinion, then attack the opinion.

Instead, you just attack the source.
Tex, in the instances I recall where you posted an article that I bashed, the paper itself was the one giving the opinion (which they clearly identified as opinion). That isn't a "source" in the sense of a source that is stating facts. It is just another voice giving just another opinion. It is astonishing you can't figure that out.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:08 PM   #85
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Tex, in the instances I recall where you posted an article that I bashed, the paper itself was the one giving the opinion (which they clearly identified as opinion). That isn't a "source" in the sense of a source that is stating facts. It is just another voice giving just another opinion.
Right. And your response amounted to, "What the hell would they know?"

You don't provide any kind of interesting rebuttal, or even an alternative viewpoint. You just attack the source.

Anyway, I'm not going to get started on the "dance of death" as some have amusingly called it. I just found it funny that you get all hot-and-bothered about bad sourcing, when you yourself are guilty of the same.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 07-09-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #86
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Two different forces at work.

Consumers --- more likely to save b/c great opportunity to increase income by consuming less.

The Federal Government --- the beast must be fed and so it will create policy so that locales compete for and subsidize commercial development.
Did you flunk econ 110?

Consumers will consume less because they have less but they won't have anything to save. If tax structures and family structure encourage savings, they save.

But reduction of consumption does not translate into saving money in terms of retaining savings in bank or financial accounts. Do you really believe this, or was this an oversight?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM   #87
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Right. And your response amounted to, "What the hell would they know?"

You don't provide any kind of interesting rebuttal, or even an alternative viewpoint. You just attack the source.

Anyway, I'm not going to get started on the "dance of death" as some have amusingly called it. I just found it funny that you get all hot-and-bothered about bad sourcing, when you yourself are guilty of the same.
Link?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #88
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Link?
http://cougarguard.com/forum/search....archid=269346\

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Just a bit of good natured ribbing.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #89
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
http://cougarguard.com/forum/search....archid=269346\

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Just a bit of good natured ribbing.
lol! Nice. Probably better than Tex will do.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM   #90
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Did you flunk econ 110?

Consumers will consume less because they have less but they won't have anything to save. If tax structures and family structure encourage savings, they save.

But reduction of consumption does not translate into saving money in terms of retaining savings in bank or financial accounts. Do you really believe this, or was this an oversight?
There's no more income tax. That essentially means the consumer decides how much in taxes he will pay b/c the government doesn't take out a mandatory slice beforehand. I see that as an opportunity for a net gain. Instead of the gov't automatically taking 30% out, I now have discretion how much I pay out in taxes through my consumption choices. And, as for myself, I would consume less and save more in order to capitalize on the opportunity for a windfall.

That's what we'd been discussing in previous posts. Is that reasoning entirely off?