cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #81
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
From what I consider a pretty reliable source, the clamps were put on Lavell in his later years on who he could recruit. I think those years were less than stellar in the recruits we got.

I think Bronco is under those same constraints or more so. So I would say the recruits compared to those last Lavell years are better.

Crowton may have been under those constraints, but I don't think he realized it.

I have answers for why Crowton did well the first year with Lavell's recruits. I hope we don't have to argue that one.
Wrong, our '98 and '99 classes we signed the most non-LDS recruits we ever had before. Fontaine, Childs, Westbrook, Pittman, Wilson, Phillips, McDonald, etc.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #82
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Wrong, our '98 and '99 classes we signed the most non-LDS recruits we ever had before. Fontaine, Childs, Westbrook, Pittman, Wilson, Phillips, McDonald, etc.
I will take your word for it. By etc., I would guess you mean four or five more. If it is only one or two more, it's hard for me to believe 4-5 a year would be the most ever.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:37 PM   #83
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Fontaine and Childs vanished into thin air. Westbrook left with Drew Miller for Montana and rode the bench. Pittman was part of a tradition that eventually got guys like Brathwaite booted.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 02-18-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #84
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

I don't get the doom and gloom by some with regards to Bronco's recruiting. There will always be certain years where some classes are better than others. Kavienga was never ours so I wasn't that bummed about losing him. Indy is right in the fact that when it comes to just football, I would pick USC over BYU but Bronco and his staff doesn't just focus on Football when recruiting. They first identify those that will fit within the BYU lifestyle and then they sell the entire experience.

I think our class is pretty solid and with players we already have in place, our recruiting classes will only get better as our national recognition gets back to where it was in the 80's and early 90's. Bronco is a great head coach and even though he is not a great recruiter, he has guys on his staff like Tidwell and Doman that are.

Some of you guys are the biggest pussies that whine and bitch about everything. We can't get the top LDS recruits, our AD is a dumbass, our head coach thinks small picture, our tv deal sucks, etc... Give it a freaking rest already. I love where our program is right now and over the next couple of years it is being set up for really big things. Sit back and enjoy it instead of looking for the next thing to bitch about.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #85
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Arnett's opinions, not to mention the majority of his "sources" dried up and thus he's been irrelevant for quite some time.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #86
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Fontaine and Childs vanished into thin air. Westbrook left with Drew Miller for Montana and rode the bench. Pittman was part of a tradition that eventually got guys like Brathwaite booted.
So quick to argue, you didn't even catch the point.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #87
Indy Coug

Quote:
So quick to argue, you didn't even catch the point.
Oh, I caught the point, but I thought I'd point out what happened to some of those guys for those that don't remember.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #88
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Arnett's opinions, not to mention the majority of his "sources" dried up and thus he's been irrelevant for quite some time.
Let me guess. TBS spooged their pants over this year's class. True or False?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #89
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Let me guess. TBS spooged their pants over this year's class. True or False?
False. Brandon thought this year was comparable, but maybe just a little bit below last year's class.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #90
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
False. Brandon thought this year was comparable, but maybe just a little bit below last year's class.
TBS must be growing up a little. They are probably sick of HB Arnett having a monopoly on the realism market.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote