cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #81
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I don't see them martyring themselves. I see them disagreeing with the implications of Sis. Beck's talk. You seem to be the one who wants them to act like martyrs, so you can find fault with them.
A few who disagree with Sis. Beck's talk are almost hoping to get disciplined so they can wear the badge of "martyr" proudly.

It will be sad to see how disappointed they are when nothing happens.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #82
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

The interesting thing about this is the bulk of women in the church really don't care what she said. They won't tell you this publicly, but they will privately.

I have asked several of my feemale relatives who heard the talk what they thought. The working ones said no big deal, the stay at home ones said, no big deal. They basically thought it was the Relief Society President giving a talk in conference and it was no big deal.

A small group on either side thought it was a significant talk.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #83
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
The interesting thing about this is the bulk of women in the church really don't care what she said. They won't tell you this publicly, but they will privately.

I have asked several of my feemale relatives who heard the talk what they thought. The working ones said no big deal, the stay at home ones said, no big deal. They basically thought it was the Relief Society President giving a talk in conference and it was no big deal.

Bingo
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #84
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Let me translate this: only a small percentage of women pay any real heed or attention to women speakers.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #85
JohnnyLingo

Quote:

Exactly. The Waters' and santos' of the internet world are far more worked up about it than the average LDS woman.

It's nice of these men to be offended on their behalf, though.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #86
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
A few who disagree with Sis. Beck's talk are almost hoping to get disciplined so they can wear the badge of "martyr" proudly.

It will be sad to see how disappointed they are when nothing happens.
You are exactly right. Nothing comes from her talk. I think the fear was that maybe she was saying something significant. Just like the fear that was out there when President Benson gave his "women in the workplace" talks. Everything went along just fine.

Some people have to deal with the zealots who take these talks and then try to lay some profound counsel on their fellow members. The best thing to do is tell the zealot to kiss your butt. I have done that before and never had a Bishop reprimand me for it. My guess is he wishes he could have said the same thing.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:13 PM   #87
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Exactly. The Waters' and santos' of the internet world are far more worked up about it than the average LDS woman.

It's nice of these men to be offended on their behalf, though.
By the same token, most women in the church don't feel the need to defend the talk with the same fervor as you and your compatriots do.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #88
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Some people have to deal with the zealots who take these talks and then try to lay some profound counsel on their fellow members. The best thing to do is tell the zealot to kiss your butt. I have done that before and never had a Bishop reprimand me for it. My guess is he wishes he could have said the same thing.
I agree completely. There's no place for members to suggest to other members how to live their lives (outside of callings like bishop or stake president or whatever).
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #89
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Let me translate this: only a small percentage of women pay any real heed or attention to women speakers.
Wrong translation.

Correct translation: Most of the women that heard it didn't have a problem with it.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #90
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
By the same token, most women in the church don't feel the need to defend the talk with the same fervor as you and your compatriots do.
I'm not defending it. I just thought it was okay and nothing to get riled up about.