cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #81
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
The LDS social order among adults from most accepted to least: (the lower you are on the list the greater chance it is automatically assumed by fellow church members who don't even know you that something is wrong with you)

1. married men and women with kids
2. widows
3. widowers
4. married men and women without kids
5. YSA sisters and male RMs up to age 24
6. never married sisters older than YSA age
7. Male RMs 25-30
8. Males in their 20s who didn't serve missions
9. divorced women any age
10. divorced men any age
11. menaces to society (never married men 30 or older)
Pretty darn accurate. Is it any wonder I am not into the social aspects of our culture.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #82
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Pretty darn accurate. Is it any wonder I am not into the social aspects of our culture.
I agree, it's a pretty good summary. Too bad.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #83
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I agree, it's a pretty good summary. Too bad.
Actually it isn't too bad. I have a really good excuse not to attend any functions except for Sacrament meeting. I just tell the Bishop, let's be serious here, I don't fit into the social structure and everything except for Sacrament meeting is just for the social structure.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #84
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually it isn't too bad. I have a really good excuse not to attend any functions except for Sacrament meeting. I just tell the Bishop, let's be serious here, I don't fit into the social structure and everything except for Sacrament meeting is just for the social structure.
That's almost as good as using your 8-month-old kid who's decided she's really angry today as an excuse to skip things....

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #85
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Adam why dont you just have your kids lie about their ages, and let them attend a temple ceremony with you?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM   #86
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
That's almost as good as using your 8-month-old kid who's decided she's really angry today as an excuse to skip things....
Not really. I think probably the most important thing a parent should do is indoctrinate the child into the culture. Therefor having an 8 month old requires you to be at all the functions.

With no kids at home, I don't have that responsibility. I can assure you when grandpa is around the grandkids, he talks a lot differently than in normal circumstances. I have already lit into the grandkids because I caught them drinking a caffeinated drink and don't drink them in front of them.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #87
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Not really. I think probably the most important thing a parent should do is indoctrinate the child into the culture. Therefor having an 8 month old requires you to be at all the functions.

With no kids at home, I don't have that responsibility. I can assure you when grandpa is around the grandkids, he talks a lot differently than in normal circumstances. I have already lit into the grandkids because I caught them drinking a caffeinated drink and don't drink them in front of them.
I think taking the kids to the functions is a great idea, but I'm not so sure about going hardline about the cultural aspects that are not really the gospel. I think that just confuses them later. I had a comp on the mission who wouldn't touch a coke with a 10 foot pole even if an investigator offered. Personally, for the most part I don't consume caffeine, but if it wasn't alcohol, tobacco, coffee or tea I wasn't about to offend someone over a cultural aspect of the church.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote