cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #81
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Nice straw man, Tex. Unless I missed something, nobody has claimed the complete absence of a continuum. The argument is about the typical case. To turn your overly simplistic logic around, the very existence of any who say it was not their choice tends to undermine the Absolutist gay-is-a-choice crowd.
Of course it does. I don't know how many of those Absolutist gay-is-a-choice folks post here, but I'm not one of them. The only Absolutist in this conversation is you.

I don't know how you can identify a "typical" case with any objectivity. Please, do enlighten me on what the "typical" gay case is, and explain the parameters of how you've identified exactly why that case is typical.

Quote:
As for your request for "evidence", I gave you a link to an article about a BYU prof. who summarizes research in this area. Why did you not comment on that? But either way, you have already indicated that you are inclined to dismiss such evidence out of hand. Why bother?
Please identify what portion of that article (which I read) answers this question:

Quote:
Do you have any studies as to how many people say they choose to be gay vs. say they are born that way?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #82
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The only Absolutist in this conversation is you.
LOL. Such bullshit.

Quote:
I don't know how you can identify a "typical" case with any objectivity. Please, do enlighten me on what the "typical" gay case is, and explain the parameters of how you've identified exactly why that case is typical.
It's just a matter of honestly reviewing the overwhelming body of evidence, Tex. If you want to continue to perform your mental gymnastics, knock yourself out.

Quote:
Please identify what portion of that article (which I read) answers this question:
Come on. The article goes to the heart of the gay-by-choice debate.

I don't know why I bother. I am done with this discussion.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #83
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The only Absolutist in this conversation is you.
Nah, Lebowski's not alone. I like it with orange juice. Cranberry sometimes, too.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #84
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Nah, Lebowski's not alone. I like it with orange juice. Cranberry sometimes, too.
gimlets. Yum!

I knew tex was a sexist and a racist. I knew he was a homophobe. I knew he cussed and made sacreligious jokes.

I didnt know he was a drunkard.

I would have pegged tex as a Smirnoff guy, anyway.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #85
Tex

Quote:
LOL. Such bullshit.
Simple question: Do you believe that some people have chosen to be gay?

Quote:
Come on. The article goes to the heart of the gay-by-choice debate.
Another simple question: What is your response to someone who says they have chosen to be gay? "No you didn't"?

I answered your simple questions forthrightly when asked. Let's see if you can return the favor.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 11-10-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #86
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I would have pegged tex as a Smirnoff guy, anyway.
Definitely. I'm more of a Skyy girl, myself.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #87
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I don't know that playing Anecdote Poker really gets us anywhere in the conversation. Obviously there are some who claim to have chosen to be gay, and many who claim that it is innate. I don't pretend to know the proportions (which is why I asked for some evidence), but the very existence of any who say it was their choice tends to undermine the Absolutist gay-from-birth crowd.
You've got it backwards. My position allows for there to be both people who are born gay and those who choose to be gay.

I was disputing Cougarobgon's position that in his experience, ALL gays chose to be gay. His position starts with the premise, therefore, that NO homosexuals are gay involuntarily. Therefore, his position is undermined if ANY homosexual is involuntarily gay.

How about you? Do you believe that at least SOME homosexuals are gay from birth, and did not choose to be gay? (Not that I really expect a straightforward answer from you).

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #88
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
You've got it backwards. My position allows for there to be both people who are born gay and those who choose to be gay.
You ought to have a chat with Lebowski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
How about you? Do you believe that at least SOME homosexuals are gay from birth, and did not choose to be gay? (Not that I really expect a straightforward answer from you).
Though I'd phrase it differently, yes, I believe such people exist. I would say it more like this: I believe there are some born with the temptation--in varying degrees--to being attracted to the same sex.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #89
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Definitely. I'm more of a Skyy girl, myself.
Classy. Only the best.

What, no Rain?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #90
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Though I'd phrase it differently, yes, I believe such people exist. I would say it more like this: I believe there are some born with the temptation--in varying degrees--to being attracted to the same sex.
Is this something based on studies, experience, what? What is your basis for the sliding scale of SSA?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote