cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #81
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
In primary they are 4 - 12

In college they are adults...

If you can't see the difference then it would seem your comment is nuts

OK, then. Would you ban your adult children or discourage them from attending institute or even gospel doctrine? This "sanitized version of church history" is taught everywhere within the church. The only time you get it at BYU is a religion class which probably is more progressive in those areas than you'll get from your master's degree rah-rah type CES institute teacher. No?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #82
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This an interesting admission, one I've long suspected.
The reason byu is hard to get into, and thereby given extra points in the college rankings, is that people just want to find another mormon to marry.
Dude, hooking up ≠ getting married.

Otherwise, we're all behind on our alimony payments.

What I meant was, students at any college often emphasize the social component of college life. Getting guys or girls is much more important to the average undergraduate than a school's stance on academic freedom.

I'm not arguing with your point; I'm just clarifying mine.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM   #83
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
OK, then. Would you ban your adult children or discourage them from attending institute or even gospel doctrine? This "sanitized version of church history" is taught everywhere within the church. The only time you get it at BYU is a religion class which probably is more progressive in those areas than you'll get from your master's degree rah-rah type CES institute teacher. No?
I wouldn't ban my kids from anywhere (byu included) I will however, not pay for them to go to byu. I hope I can teach them to honestly seek the truth and call BS when they see it.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:07 PM   #84
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
Dude, hooking up ≠ getting married.

Otherwise, we're all behind on our alimony payments.
Dude, you don't know how ugly am I and how little I dated (c:
Old 03-20-2007, 09:08 PM   #85
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I hope I can teach them to honestly seek the truth and call BS when they see it.
And what makes you think that can't happen at BYU?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #86
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
With the way Univ. of Utah excludes Mormon faculty, I don't see how they are much different than BYU btw.
how is a homogeneous faculty similar to a diverse faculty? and there are plenty of lds faculty there.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #87
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
it can, you just get in trouble if you talk too loud.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #88
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Its not that it can't happen its just less likely IMO.....
Old 03-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #89
jay santos

I have little tolerance for these kinds of discussions. I went to BYU. I live here. I have family and friends as professors. I'm in the middle of it. I know BYU pretty well. The people that are speaking up against BYU here are outsiders that know little of what they say except for hearing third hand anecdotes or read in the papers about a BYU prof getting fired for doing something wrong.

I have a dear friend who is an English prof at BYU, Ivy league doctorate, so liberal he would have the CB crowd in a tizzy fit in no time. He has open access at BYU to teach whatever he wants and make whatever political and social commentary he sees fit, and does quite often. And his students complain about how liberal he is, but he doesn't care. The only academic freedom issues he has is that he might like to publish some of his religion commentary in Sunstone, but he doesn't. He feels the church is a little overbearing in this issue, but really it has nothing to do with the quality of education his students get. He's an English lit professor.

My sister is in a liberal arts major at BYU and recently in a small, upper division class, she felt threatened by what she called the feminists and liberals that dominated her class. I told her to lighten up and maybe learn something from it.

Biology professors teach evolution. History teachers teach history. So maybe there's some gray area about Joseph Smith and polygamy that they have to stay away from. So the anthropology researchers have to be careful about the MesoAmerica stuff they do. If you're bent on proving something false about the LDS church, BYU is probably not the right place for you as a prof or a student. Other than that, all bets are on.

The business about religion teaching is a complete red herring. Religion is taught in religion classes. Religion teaching in the church in general is up for discussion but it's not peculiar to BYU and it doesn't spill over to other fields. My econ teachers never discussed polygamy. My dif eq teacher never brought up man is as God once was. My biology teacher taught evolution with nary a mention of the Garden of Eden. My history teacher challenged my conservative/republican way of thinking.

BYU students get a top notch undergraduate education. They are taught to explore and expand and create. Out of the million different angles you could take with your education 999,985 are open to you at BYU. The 15 out of a million aren't, but is this really worth getting up in arms over?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 PM   #90
jay santos

Quote:
Its not that it can't happen its just less likely IMO.....
Can you give me an honest example of how this happened where you went to school (Utah?) which is unlikely to happen at BYU?