cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 AM   #81
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
You are ASSUMING there is no threat to the cop!!!

And again, why does the cop have a right to defend himself if his life is inherently less valuable than that of the criminal shooting? That IS what you said.
Sigh. It most certainly is not what I said, and only a deliberate misinterpretation could have given you that impression.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:44 AM   #82
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Sigh. It most certainly is not what I said, and only a deliberate misinterpretation could have given you that impression.
Whose safety is more important?

According to Woot:

"Your argument would make sense if the safety of the cop was more important than the safety of the other guy. It's not."

If the safety of the other guy is more important, then what should the cop do if the guy hits him? What if the guy shoots at him? What if the guy puts his hand in his pocket (where he could have a weapon) and walks away from the cop?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 AM   #83
woot

Quote:
Whose safety is more important?

According to Woot:

"Your argument would make sense if the safety of the cop was more important than the safety of the other guy. It's not."

If the safety of the other guy is more important, then what should the cop do if the guy hits him? What if the guy shoots at him? What if the guy puts his hand in his pocket (where he could have a weapon) and walks away from the cop?
Again, read it more closely. I refuse to believe your reading comprehension is that poor.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:07 AM   #84
Cali Coug

Quote:
Again, read it more closely. I refuse to believe your reading comprehension is that poor.
Sounds like you are bailing out with the familiar "you must be dumb for not understanding me" rhetoric.

I don't blame you for being unable to answer the questions. You have put yourself in an impossible situation here.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 AM   #85
woot

Quote:
Sounds like you are bailing out with the familiar "you must be dumb for not understanding me" rhetoric.

I don't blame you for being unable to answer the questions. You have put yourself in an impossible situation here.
Well, I guess I must conclude that you really are that poor of a reader. Here's a hint: "less than" doesn't exclude "equal to."
Old 11-27-2007, 02:21 AM   #86
Cali Coug

Quote:
Well, I guess I must conclude that you really are that poor of a reader. Here's a hint: "less than" doesn't exclude "equal to."
How is that helpful? If the safety of the cop is equally important to the safety of the suspect, then what? You are speaking abstractly. Try to convert your abstract thoughts into a concrete practical application (and try to avoid saying something equally unhelpful like "he should have just arrested him").
Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 AM   #87
woot

Quote:
How is that helpful? If the safety of the cop is equally important to the safety of the suspect, then what? You are speaking abstractly. Try to convert your abstract thoughts into a concrete practical application (and try to avoid saying something equally unhelpful like "he should have just arrested him").
It should be obvious, so I'll let you figure it out. It's funny how easily you brush off your hilarious overreaction due to your poor reading comprehension.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 AM   #88
Cali Coug

Quote:
It should be obvious, so I'll let you figure it out. It's funny how easily you brush off your hilarious overreaction due to your poor reading comprehension.
Is it as obvious as "he should just arrest him?" If so, I can't wait to hear about it.

I have a hard time believing you meant to say that the safety of the policeman was equal in importance to the safety of the suspect. First of all, you didn't even attempt to contest my reading of your statement in the post following mine. Rather, you took issue with my analogy of the situation. Second, if you are now arguing that you view their safety as being of equal value, then why wouldn't the officer have a right to protect himself if he felt threatened? It is just as important that he be safe as the suspect. Why can't he take appropriate measures to be safe?

Sounds like you are engaging in a little post hoc rationalization to me. Don't you know that lying is against the 10 commandments? You should.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:20 AM   #89
woot

Quote:
Is it as obvious as "he should just arrest him?" If so, I can't wait to hear about it.

I have a hard time believing you meant to say that the safety of the policeman was equal in importance to the safety of the suspect. First of all, you didn't even attempt to contest my reading of your statement in the post following mine. Rather, you took issue with my analogy of the situation. Second, if you are now arguing that you view their safety as being of equal value, then why wouldn't the officer have a right to protect himself if he felt threatened? It is just as important that he be safe as the suspect. Why can't he take appropriate measures to be safe?

Sounds like you are engaging in a little post hoc rationalization to me. Don't you know that lying is against the 10 commandments? You should.
Oh come on. You're just trying to justify your ridiculous misreading and subsequent overreaction. I thought it would have been obvious what I meant, which is why I didn't immediately clarify. I obviously don't think that any human life is more valuable than another's. You didn't even recognize the possibility that that is what I meant, which is pretty sad.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #90
Cali Coug

Quote:
Oh come on. You're just trying to justify your ridiculous misreading and subsequent overreaction. I thought it would have been obvious what I meant, which is why I didn't immediately clarify. I obviously don't think that any human life is more valuable than another's. You didn't even recognize the possibility that that is what I meant, which is pretty sad.
So your argument is that it is obvious what you meant (even though it is obvious that isn't how it was being interpreted), so you felt no need to clarify (despite the obvious "misinterpretation" of your quote). Right...

I will note that what you are doing now is a common debate tactic- make the debate about you. It is Tex-style debating 101. Avoid the actual issues (where you are getting crushed) and focus on something else tangential. Well played.