cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #71
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
just about anything is better than UNM. And UNM is not even allowed on my daughter's long list. Albuquerque is a criminal cesspool, especially near campus.
Is it that bad? I would have thought most land grant universities are acceptable in basic general education.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #72
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
This an interesting admission, one I've long suspected.
The reason byu is hard to get into, and thereby given extra points in the college rankings, is that people just want to find another mormon to marry. As opposed to the finding a program with strengths in their areas of interest.

Now marriage is important, don't get me wrong. But I'd say an education is equally important.
And match.com is a lot cheaper than tuition, and you don't have to live in Provo (c:

Regards,
Brian

That makes for a nice sound bite, but over the years there have been thousands of kids more intelligent than you that went to BYU, who made a more analytical decision on where to attend than you did, became more educated than you, became more prepared than you to enter grad school or the workplace, went to a better grad school than you, and make more money than you do now or ever will. Maybe tens of thousands.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:31 PM   #73
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
That makes for a nice sound bite, but over the years there have been thousands of kids more intelligent than you that went to BYU, who made a more analytical decision on where to attend than you did, became more educated than you, became more prepared than you to enter grad school or the workplace, went to a better grad school than you, and make more money than you do now or ever will. Maybe tens of thousands.
hundreds of thousands, I'd say.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #74
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I wish you would have left the last two phrases off. Making lots of money is not the ends for everyone's education.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #75
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
I wish you would have left the last two phrases off. Making lots of money is not the ends for everyone's education.
Of course. The list was meant to be an or not an and list. And I know it was jerky of me to write, but Brian deserved it. People are so worried the BYU community is looking down their noses at them, that they spend their whole time looking down their nose back at them.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #76
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why the personal attack?

I realize Brian took a mild-mannered potshot at BYU and its fame for the MRS degree, but I doubt Brian believes the nonsensical statement that BYU's students aren't interested in academics.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 PM   #77
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So you don't let your kids go to primary either? I went to BYU. And out of the 40 or 50 classes I took, maybe only a few could be categorized even remotely that way. And those were religion classes. And I bet the professors got closer to actual history of the church and avoided whitewashing than a typical CES institute instructor would. Your comment is nuts.

In primary they are 4 - 12

In college they are adults...

If you can't see the difference then it would seem your comment is nuts
Old 03-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #78
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is it that bad? I would have thought most land grant universities are acceptable in basic general education.
I guess it's acceptable if standards aren't high. run of the mill at best.
but more importantly, it's located in a pretty bad place and there is quite a bit of prejudice there, from what I hear from friends who have kids there.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #79
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
In primary they are 4 - 12

In college they are adults...

If you can't see the difference then it would seem your comment is nuts
earlier schooling is for learning/memorizing stuff.
in college it's important to learn how to think, follow truth wherever it takes you.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #80
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

With the way Univ. of Utah excludes Mormon faculty, I don't see how they are much different than BYU btw.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote